Exodus 34:28 - Referring to preceeding passage in Exodus 34 or Exodus 20?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Puritan Board Senior
"And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments." -Exodus 34:28

I just noticed that at the end of a giving of laws in Exodus 34 after Moses broke the first tablets, which has some repetition with Exodus 20, although largely different, there is this reference to the ten commandments. I'm a bit confused because it seems there can be reckoned to be ten commandments given here in Exodus 34. Is this reference to "ten commandments" meaning Moses wrote down what is here in Exodus 34 or again recording the ten commandments given in Exodus 20?

The Ten Commandments had to be made again after being broken (Exodus 34:1)and this refers to this second occasion of going up the mountain to receive the law. Moses also went up on another occasion in order to intercede for the people (Exodus 32:30-35). It appears that Moses hews the new tables, and the Lord wrote on them ( Ex 34:1, Ex 34:28, Deut 10:1-2 ). It appears that the original tables were both made and inscribed by God (Ex 31:18)

The significance of this for the ongoing worship of Israel is that when God "looks on" the tablets of stone hewn by Moses He "remembers" that the law has been broken by the people, but when the blood is sprinkled on the Mercy Seat above the broken law on the Day of Atonement, He is propitiated.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back