Exodus 23 1-9

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZackF

Puritan Board Professor
Our pastor has been preaching through Exodus. Today's passage:

“You shall not bear a false report; do not join your hand with a wicked man to be a malicious witness. 2 You shall not follow [a]the masses in doing evil, nor shall you [b]testify in a dispute so as to turn aside after [c]a multitude in order to pervert justice; 3 nor shall you [d]be partial to a poor man in his dispute.

4 “If you meet your enemy’s ox or his donkey wandering away, you shall surely return it to him. 5 If you see the donkey of one who hates you lying helpless under its load, you shall refrain from leaving it to him, you shall surely release it with him.

6 “You shall not pervert the justice due to your needy brother in his dispute. 7 Keep far from a false charge, and do not kill the innocent or the righteous, for I will not acquit the guilty.

8 “You shall not take a bribe, for a bribe blinds the clear-sighted and [e]subverts the cause of the just.

9 “You shall not oppress a [f]stranger, since you yourselves know the [g]feelings of a [h]stranger, for you also were [i]strangers in the land of Egypt.

It would be hard to find another nine verses in a row that run so counter to our current cultural moment. I think social media (I know, I know it's my hobby horse) has given so many more people opportunities to violate verse 2.

Fake news...collusion...jumping on the bandwagon...favoring the disadvantaged even to injustice...was Exodus written 3000 years ago, or yesterday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back