Exclusive Psalmody and the Unity and Authority of the Church

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
A couple of nights ago I was singing Psalm 22 in private worship at home; when I sang the words of verse 2 - "Our fathers trusted in You" - a thought occured to me.:think: It is such a blessing to be able to sing the same songs of praise to the same Lord, that my spiritual forefathers, not only in the Old Testament, but also throughout the history of the New Testament church, have also sang.

Instead of "re-inventing the wheel" and singing some "Jonny-come-lately" hymn that a fallen, fallible man has devised. I have the immense privilege of singing the same hymns that were a source of strength to David, the godly kings and prophets, the Lord Jesus Christ Himself, the apostles, the patristic fathers, Reformers, Puritans, Covenanters and many other Christians throughout the ages.

Perhaps the lack of psalm-singing - even if not exclusive - is a factor behind much of the "me and my biblism", and the ecclesiastical freelancer mentality, that blights much of modern evangelicalism.

I just received four 1650 Psalters in the mail today. My daughter and I are excited about learning these for family worship. I don't think I'll ever think the same way about this subject after reading "Songs Of Zion". A big thank you to brother Andrew for sending me this book. While reading in the 2nd volume of "the christian in complete armour" this morning Gurnall lamented the fact that even in his time the Psalms were being neglected.

Happy thought indeed!! I hadn't looked at it that way before. We are singing corporately with not only the current body of Christ but the body of Christ throughout the ages. :amen: :sing:

This is another thing that bothered me about our modern day hymnals. Accusations about Watts and Robinson denying the Trinity. Even Andrew Fuller wrote about it in his collection of works I have at home. Have any of you brethren ever heard anything about this with Watts?

Unitarianism

I just started singing the Psalms in my private worship and with my family.

Daniel, i must say that your book has nudged me over the fence and i am pretty much EP now.

My church is not EP, but i will soon be requesting that we start incorporating Psalm singing into our worship. Some adults as well as Youth Group members have said that they would love to start singing Psalms...what a blessing that would be!

I just received four 1650 Psalters in the mail today. My daughter and I are excited about learning these for family worship. I don't think I'll ever think the same way about this subject after reading "Songs Of Zion". A big thank you to brother Andrew for sending me this book. While reading in the 2nd volume of "the christian in complete armour" this morning Gurnall lamented the fact that even in his time the Psalms were being neglected.

Does anyone know if C&C (or someone else) is going to be reprinting Songs of Zion anytime soon? The used market is WAY too high for my budget on this book....

This is another thing that bothered me about our modern day hymnals. Accusations about Watts and Robinson denying the Trinity. Even Andrew Fuller wrote about it in his collection of works I have at home. Have any of you brethren ever heard anything about this with Watts?

Unitarianism

Yes, indeed.

Does anyone know if C&C (or someone else) is going to be reprinting Songs of Zion anytime soon? The used market is WAY too high for my budget on this book....

It's in the works, but I don't know the timetable. I need to follow up with Mike directly, I think.

I think it may be possible to get a photocopy edition through Still Waters Revival Books, FREE and Discounted Reformation, Puritan, Reformed Baptist, Protestant, Calvinism, Presbyterian, Covenanter, Baptist Books, CDs, DVDs, MP3s, Videos, Bibles. Creation, Seminary, Home Schooling Resources, Psalters at SWRB.co It is listed on their site, in any case for roughly $20

Unitarianism

I have. Also, Watts said he had to "teach David to talk like a Christian." Ugh!

Try the RPCI's Covenanter Bookshop to see if they have any copies left.

I just started singing the Psalms in my private worship and with my family.

Daniel, i must say that your book has nudged me over the fence and i am pretty much EP now.

My church is not EP, but i will soon be requesting that we start incorporating Psalm singing into our worship. Some adults as well as Youth Group members have said that they would love to start singing Psalms...what a blessing that would be!

Larry, I am always encouraged when I hear my feeble writings have caused others to think more about what God's word teaches.

That is real communion of the saints indeed. I am reading your book too Mr. Ritchie. I don't need convincing but I alway try to keep read up on the subject as I seek to share with others.

Unitarianism

Blueridge, you might look at some of the references that Bushell cites regarding Watts in The Songs of Zion. He has the citation where J.A. Alexander states that Watts "was believed to have died a Unitarian." His other citation is from Gilbert McMaster's book about Watts. McMaster cites one of Watts' works "A Discourse on the Glory of Christ," in which Watts indeed laments that the doctrine of the Trinity could ever be believed by large numbers of Christians.

I may start another thread on Unitarianism, as to whether one can hold such a belief and still be considered regenerate. How can one profess to be a believer, and not hold to the diety of Christ?

Try the RPCI's Covenanter Bookshop to see if they have any copies left.

Also try RTS Charlotte. It was over a year ago but they had a bunch of copies at their bookshop. Unfortunately, they were not hot sellers. :(

Unitarianism

Yes, the same David who was a "man after God's own heart". The Spirit of the Lord was upon David's tongue so that he would teach us to talk and think like Christians, not the other way round.

Unitarianism

Blueridge, you might look at some of the references that Bushell cites regarding Watts in The Songs of Zion. He has the citation where J.A. Alexander states that Watts "was believed to have died a Unitarian." His other citation is from Gilbert McMaster's book about Watts. McMaster cites one of Watts' works "A Discourse on the Glory of Christ," in which Watts indeed laments that the doctrine of the Trinity could ever be believed by large numbers of Christians.

I may start another thread on Unitarianism, as to whether one can hold such a belief and still be considered regenerate. How can one profess to be a believer, and not hold to the diety of Christ?

For what it's worth, Here is a previous thread on Isaac Watts and his Unitarianism.

http://www.puritanboard.com/f24/issac-watts-possibly-unitarian-18804/

Perhaps the lack of psalm-singing - even if not exclusive - is a factor behind much of the "me and my biblism", and the ecclesiastical freelancer mentality, that blights much of modern evangelicalism.
I think this is a huge stretch of the imagination, brother.

Last edited:
Thanks for this thread y'all. I had no idea that people sang Psalms until I moved to Pittsburgh and ran into all the RP's around here. Now they have me going to their Seminary. Who knows what else they will have me do next.

Daniel,

Since I became a Protestant, I have been thinking of that (EP), the frequency of the Lords Supper, Bible Translation (KJV vs. the rest), Our Confessions (3fU and W.C.F), etc. In other words how can the Church being "always reformed," continue to "always reforming" within itself. As our motto is to be understood, "reformed church always reforming."

in my opinion, I think agreeing in just one will bring the Church closer together.

You're free to be EP and delight in your position, but I think this is a huge stretch of the imagination.

Note that I said even if not exclusive, and that it is a factor, not the only factor.

However, the problem remains for the uninspired hymn-singer: why should I want to sing songs which the saints in earlier ages - even after the close of the canon - did not have at their disposal?

For those who hold to the RPW, the burden of proof rests with the pro-hymnody in public worship position.

Although I would say that pro-uninspired hymnody in any worship context is inconsistent with the RPW. I find it strange that some people think we should only sing psalms in public worship, but then sing non-canonical hymns in private, family worship etc, but without ever making a Biblical case for that distinction.

Note that I said even if not exclusive, and that it is a factor, not the only factor.
Daniel, this is how I understood what you said: "If everyone just adhered to my beliefs (or was a little bit closer to my beliefs), then there would be greater unity in the church." You may not have intended it to sound that way, but that's how it came off to me.
However, the problem remains for the uninspired hymn-singer: why should I want to sing songs which the saints in earlier ages - even after the close of the canon - did not have at their disposal?
I'm not going to argue with you about it. I think were both quite content in the validity of our present convictions. ;)

Daniel, this is how I understood what you said: "If everyone just adhered to my beliefs (or was a little bit closer to my beliefs), then there would be greater unity in the church." You may not have intended it to sound that way, but that's how it came off to me.
I'm not going to argue with you about it. I think were both quite content in the validity of our present convictions. ;)

Fair enough.

I find it strange that some people think we should only sing psalms in public worship, but then sing non-canonical hymns in private, family worship etc, but without ever making a Biblical case for that distinction.

What, you find it strange that some people are inconsistent in thier theology....:)

Note: I was told what you just said about "some people" by an RPCNA pastor when I was looking for a home Church. He wanted to make it clear to me that we are psalm singers on Sunday morning...so be prepared for that when you visit...but, at home we can play the piano and sing hymns, etc...I thought it was funny because if you are convinced that your Sunday morning service is real worship, why would you not want to repeat that same "real" worship at other times.

Daniel,

Since I became a Protestant, I have been thinking of that (EP), the frequency of the Lords Supper, Bible Translation (KJV vs. the rest), Our Confessions (3fU and W.C.F), etc. In other words how can the Church being "always reformed," continue to "always reforming" within itself. As our motto is to be understood, "reformed church always reforming."

in my opinion, I think agreeing in just one will bring the Church closer together.

Gil

I am not sure if this addresses your point, but I think the crucial difference between the classic Protestant view of Sola Scriptura, and the common view of most evangelicals Solo Scriptura/"me and my Bible-ism", is that the former seeks to take on board the testimony of the church, and further refine it in accordance with Scripture, while the latter thinks we should just start from scratch - as if we are the only ones who have read the Bible.

I find it strange that some people think we should only sing psalms in public worship, but then sing non-canonical hymns in private, family worship etc, but without ever making a Biblical case for that distinction.

What, you find it strange that some people are inconsistent in thier theology....:)

Note: I was told what you just said about "some people" by an RPCNA pastor when I was looking for a home Church. He wanted to make it clear to me that we are psalm singers on Sunday morning...so be prepared for that when you visit...but, at home we can play the piano and sing hymns, etc...I thought it was funny because if you are convinced that your Sunday morning service is real worship, why would you not want to repeat that same "real" worship at other times.

Does he deny that the RPW applies to private/family worship?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back