Exclusive Psalmody and instruments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Mathiesen

Puritan Board Freshman
I’m currently working through my own convictions regarding psalm singing and musical instruments. Here are some of the objections I haven’t found satisfying answers to.

1. Does the regulative principle only apply to corporate worship? If I am singing hymns along with instruments in my car am I violating the RPW? Are we not to worship God in our everyday life and not just at church? Is God more pleased that I listen to secular music for my own entertainment then Christian hymns with music. Or should I never listen to any music at all except acapella psalms?
  2. The EP believes it is truly sinful to sing uninspired music yet calls other Christian’s who do sing hymns brothers and sisters. If they’re sinning, wouldn’t church discipline be in order? Is associating equally as acceptable as associating with a church that had women pastors? Could you in good conscience tell a EP Christian to attend a church that had hymns and piano if there that was all that was around him? Would he be sinning by attending?
  3. Most churches don’t hold to an EP position or a non instrumental position, are they legitimate churches?

From your signature, I believe you are in an EP church in a non-EP denomination. Would you not be able to receive answers to qns 2/3?

A lot in my denomination is new to me and so I don’t want to overwhelm my pastor with a million questions on a million different topics. We have spoken briefly about this subject but I’m still not really clear on how it plays out when we are not gathered corporately

I’m currently working through my own convictions regarding psalm singing and musical instruments. Here are some of the objections I haven’t found satisfying answers to.

1. Does the regulative principle only apply to corporate worship? If I am singing hymns along with instruments in my car am I violating the RPW? Are we not to worship God in our everyday life and not just at church? Is God more pleased that I listen to secular music for my own entertainment then Christian hymns with music. Or should I never listen to any music at all except acapella psalms?
  2. The EP believes it is truly sinful to sing uninspired music yet calls other Christian’s who do sing hymns brothers and sisters. If they’re sinning, wouldn’t church discipline be in order? Is associating equally as acceptable as associating with a church that had women pastors? Could you in good conscience tell a EP Christian to attend a church that had hymns and piano if there that was all that was around him? Would he be sinning by attending?
  3. Most churches don’t hold to an EP position or a non instrumental position, are they legitimate churches?
These are very good questions. I can only offer my view as someone who is largely EP (I am not against singing other parts of Scripture):
  • Does the regulative principle only apply to corporate worship? Yes, if you are also including family worship as a form of corporate worship;
  • If I am singing hymns along with instruments in my car am I violating the RPW? No, but be careful using instruments while driving;
  • Are we not to worship God in our everyday life and not just at church? Yes, but I worship God by working 6 days a week;
  • Is God more pleased that I listen to secular music for my own entertainment then Christian hymns with music? Probably not unless you are comparing Bach to Bethel;
  • Or should I never listen to any music at all except acapella psalms? Should the Bible be the only book you ever read?
  • The EP believes it is truly sinful to sing uninspired music yet calls other Christian’s who do sing hymns brothers and sisters. If they’re sinning, wouldn’t church discipline be in order? Unless you are in a denomination that allows both (which I believe you are), I don't see how this would be an issue - you can't bring discipline against someone in another denomination. I would say this is a tricky issue in some denominations;
  • Is associating equally as acceptable as associating with a church that had women pastors? No;
  • Could you in good conscience tell a EP Christian to attend a church that had hymns and piano if there that was all that was around him? Would he be sinning by attending? I will answer these together by saying I would tell them to (1) attend but not sing uninspired praise if they were convicted of the EP position ands (2) petition the elders with regard to the issue;
  • Most churches don’t hold to an EP position or a non instrumental position, are they legitimate churches? Yes. I think the following still applies in our time and place (although I believe the Confession's reference to "particular churches" was, at the time, referring to established national Churches as they had no concept of denominations): "particular churches, which are members [of the catholic visible Church], are more or less pure, according as the doctrine of the gospel is taught and embraced, ordinances administered, and public worship performed more or less purely in them." (WCF 25.4).

I can't answer these questions in the context of your denomination, but I can attempt to answer them based on my understanding as a 1689 Reformed Baptist, albeit, one that will be attending a Free Presbyterian church in the coming months, Lord willing.

1. For our family, we believe the regulative principle of worship ought to apply in whatever context a believer finds themselves worshipping. As an example, my wife has a conviction about headcovering. As we are to strive to pray without ceasing (1 Thess. 5:17), her convictions about headcovering extends to the home. For us, this would include but not be limited to times of family worship, for example.

2. This question appears to have elements of matters of conscience and conviction, so Romans 14:23 may be appropriate here. As for your question regarding 'if they're sinning, wouldn't church discipline be in order', I suppose this depends on whether or not some ecclesiastical jurisdiction exists which would enable church discipline to occur. Even in instances where church discipline may not be carried out, the doctrine of separation or non-fellowship in the context of personal separation may apply. Metropolitan Tabernacle has no shortage of articles online or short tracts on the doctrine of separation such as When To Stand Apart by Dr. Peter Masters, but I can also recommend Be Ye Holy: The Call to Christian Separation by Mr. Fred Moritz to you.

3. I think that many, if not most churches err in some way. Councils have and do err also. I think some of the more zealous separatists among us (of which I count myself as one) would be surprised by what constitutes a legitimate church, despite their doctrine or practice being apparently deficient in some sense. Speaking for myself, that has been true of me. However, whether or not a church is legitimate doesn't necessarily need to be in view here. For example, I'm reminded about how the Lord had some sort of criticism for five of the seven churches in Revelation, as well as some of the Apostle Paul's comments about what was going on in some of the churches he helped plant. Lastly, the Scriptures also suggest that there are legitimate reasons for separating from legitimate believers in some select instances.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me give a general answer to questions 2 and 3. Church discipline assumes that one has placed himself under the authority of a specific church, usually through membershp vows. Who would have the authority to discipline believers in another church because they disagree with their application of the regulative principle? Within Presbyterianism you could appeal to Presbytery, but that's going to be a tough row it the denomination's directory of public worship accomodates hymns and instrumentation.

If someone is believing in Christ alone for his salvation and submits to the truthful and authoritative nature of the scriptures we are to view him as a brother in Christ. We may have disagreements over their doctrine or practice but only the essential truths of the faith define a believer.

You'll get answers here (a variety!) but I know Pastor Ruddell will enjoy answering your questions. My own view is that I don't sing man-made hymns in private, family, or public worship.

1. Does the regulative principle only apply to corporate worship? Private, family, and corporate worship.
  2. If I am singing hymns along with instruments in my car am I violating the RPW? Are you worshipping? (This is one you really should take to your Pastor!)
  3. Are we not to worship God in our everyday life and not just at church? Yes, but the term worship is being used loosely.
  4. Is God more pleased that I listen to secular music for my own entertainment then Christian hymns with music. No.
  5. Or should I never listen to any music at all except acapella psalms? That's up to you and your informed conscience!
  6. The EP believes it is truly sinful to sing uninspired music yet calls other Christian’s who do sing hymns brothers and sisters. If they’re sinning, wouldn’t church discipline be in order? This is the same as a Presbyterian believing that Baptists should be disciplined in a Baptist church.
  7. Is associating equally as acceptable as associating with a church that had women pastors? No
  8. Could you in good conscience tell a EP Christian to attend a church that had hymns and piano if there that was all that was around him? Yes if it's a true church and the best one accessible.
  9. Would he be sinning by attending? No
  10. Most churches don’t hold to an EP position or a non instrumental position, are they legitimate churches? Yes if they meet the marks of a true church

A lot in my denomination is new to me and so I don’t want to overwhelm my pastor with a million questions on a million different topics. We have spoken briefly about this subject but I’m still not really clear on how it plays out when we are not gathered corporately

It's your Pastor's job to shepherd you. That's what he's for.

You'll get answers here (a variety!) but I know Pastor Ruddell will enjoy answering your questions. My own view is that I don't sing man-made hymns in private, family, or public worship.

1. Does the regulative principle only apply to corporate worship? Private, family, and corporate worship.
  2. If I am singing hymns along with instruments in my car am I violating the RPW? Are you worshipping? (This is one you really should take to your Pastor!)
  3. Are we not to worship God in our everyday life and not just at church? Yes, but the term worship is being used loosely.
  4. Is God more pleased that I listen to secular music for my own entertainment then Christian hymns with music. No.
  5. Or should I never listen to any music at all except acapella psalms? That's up to you and your informed conscience!
  6. The EP believes it is truly sinful to sing uninspired music yet calls other Christian’s who do sing hymns brothers and sisters. If they’re sinning, wouldn’t church discipline be in order? This is the same as a Presbyterian believing that Baptists should be disciplined in a Baptist church.
  7. Is associating equally as acceptable as associating with a church that had women pastors? No
  8. Could you in good conscience tell a EP Christian to attend a church that had hymns and piano if there that was all that was around him? Yes if it's a true church and the best one accessible.
  9. Would he be sinning by attending? No
  10. Most churches don’t hold to an EP position or a non instrumental position, are they legitimate churches? Yes if they meet the marks of a true church
I guess the answer about whether I should listen in private is confusing. Because if the regulative principle applies everywhere wouldn’t instruments in general or anything not psalms be sin to sing or listen to? Yet if that’s the case why would God make instruments in the first place or give people talent as songwriters?

I guess the answer about whether I should listen in private is confusing. Because if the regulative principle applies everywhere wouldn’t instruments in general or anything not psalms be sin to sing or listen to? Yet if that’s the case why would God make instruments in the first place or give people talent as songwriters?
One helpful distinction may be that the regulative principle of worship applies in every context where worship is being performed. I believe Jeri Tanner may have offered an answer along these lines in #7 as well.

As for God making instruments, you may have studied this issue better than I have, but I see no reason to suppose God made instruments any more than God made missiles or amoxicillin. With respect to instruments, the earliest reference I can find to musical instruments would be in Genesis 4:21. The creation of some instruments appears to be related to Jubal, a descendant of Cain. I believe the earliest reference to Christians using instruments in worship is the third century.

Speaking specifically about music in the context of worship, I believe there are at least two schools of thought. In one camp, adherents would say that music can be neutral. In the other, they would say music can not. Some music may be overly complex thus detract from engaging the thinking faculties in worship. Other sorts of music might be so beautiful that it leads the mind to wander, engaging the heart but not the head. There are other types of music where the lyrics might be difficult to understand and follow along with. I believe worship ought to engage the mind and be something that everyone can participate in. Yet many times music is something we observe in a passive way as opposed to participating in in an active way.

In case it is helpful, I wanted to offer one article from Dr. Peter Masters on the subject of ecstatic worship which may be related to your question.
It can be found here. I believe this may speak to your question as much of what could be listened to in private on Spotify might fit this description.

Scholars on Puritan Board will most likely know and share far more than anything I can contribute on this topic, but I hope this at least provides another perspective from someone whose family has struggled with this subject over the years, if nothing else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Listen in private to whatever you like. The RPW, as has been pointed out, is about corporate worship. It does not apply everywhere, or you could never eat a burger nor watch a movie nor take a bath, since none of these are elements of worship.
As far as instruments, well--whether they are to be used during worship in the New Testament era or not, they were commanded in OT worship, and David played the harp not only for worship but to soothe Saul's mania. So they are perfectly legitimate for use by Christians. There will be an instrument played on the Last Day, when the trump of God sounds.
May we hear it soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back