Evangelical Theology 1833–1856

Status
Not open for further replies.

AV1611

Puritan Board Senior
PREFACE

First of all I would like to express my thanks to the Council of Latimer House, Oxford, for employing me for three years in Oxford in order that I could write on the history of Evangelical theology. In those three years (1973–6) I produced with Michael Smout a biography of Bishop J. C. Ryle (published by James Clarke in the UK and Reiner Publications in the USA) and this book. It is a great privilege to live and work in Oxford.

It appears to me that a lot of Anglican Evangelical theology in the nineteenth century was produced in controversial situations. This book attempts to describe how the Evangelicals reacted to the appearance of Tractarian theology. A further book needs to be written showing how they reacted to the ‘Liberal’ theology – that is to new views about the Bible, revelation, creation, miracles and related subjects which gained popularity in England from about 1850.

I am very grateful to the Rev Dr Geoffrey Rowell, chaplain of Keble College, who read and criticised the manuscript when it was being written. Also to the Rev Dr E. Yarnold, S.J., the Rev R. T. Beckwith, and Canon Michael Hennell I am grateful for their comments on specific parts of the work. The late Fr Stephen Dessain, together with Dr John Walsh, Clyde Ervine, George Herring and Brian Stanley gave me help on specific points.

To the librarians of Pusey House, Oxford, and Lambeth Palace, London, together with the Keeper of Western Manuscripts at the Bodleian Library, Oxford, I am grateful for permission to use manuscripts.

My wife has made sacrifices so that I could complete this work and she deserves many thanks.

Peter Toon​

Oak Hill Theological College

London N14

4 May 1977

http://www.anglicanbooksrevitalized.us/Peter_Toons_Books_Online/History/evantheo1.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back