Eugenics and abortion in Nazi Germany (Richard J. Evans)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
After discussing the Nazi regime's sterilisation policies, Professor Richard J. Evans notes, "In 1935, in addition, abortion on eugenic grounds had been legalized."

Richard J. Evans, The Third Reich at War 1939-1945 (London: Penguin, 2008), p. 77.

To be fair, on the other hand, the Nazis made it illegal to advertise abortion services, and they banned abortion of healthy German babies. (Jewish women were allowed to obtain abortions from 1938 - one should share that factoid with their liberal friends). By the end, abortion of a healthy German baby was a death penalty offense. So don't slander the murderous Nazis by suggesting that they are as bad as modern American and European politicians and judges.

To be fair, on the other hand, the Nazis made it illegal to advertise abortion services, and they banned abortion of healthy German babies. (Jewish women were allowed to obtain abortions from 1938 - one should share that factoid with their liberal friends). By the end, abortion of a healthy German baby was a death penalty offense. So don't slander the murderous Nazis by suggesting that they are as bad as modern American and European politicians and judges.

Yes, I recall seeing an article a while back complaining that an anti-abortion law from the Nazi era was still on the books in Germany.

I think I read somewhere that the founder of "Planned Parenthood" was a massive racist and figured that by providing "free" (abortions are never free, the cost of life alone) abortions for lower income women, African-americans, would reduce their populations.

I think I read somewhere that the founder of "Planned Parenthood" was a massive racist and figured that by providing "free" (abortions are never free, the cost of life alone) abortions for lower income women, African-americans, would reduce their populations.

Margaret Sanger is the person in question. I have heard/read that claim as well, but I would have to check the sources for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back