Essentials for NT Greek study?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thistle93

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi! I have taken beginning NT Greek and one NT Greek exegesis of 1 Peter in seminary but in the almost 5 years I have been out and pastoring I have not been able to continue studying my NT Greek as much as I would like given the time restraints of pastoral ministry. So I want to restart my study. If you have a knowledge of NT Greek what would you recommend using? In your experience what were the best resources to help you with your NT Greek?

I currently have:
A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature by Walter Bauer and Frederick William Danker

Basics of Biblical Greek Grammar by William D. Mounce w/ Workbook/Flashcards/CD-Rom

Lexical Aids for Students of New Testament Greek by Bruce M. Metzger

New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology: Abridged Edition by Verlyn Verbrugge

The Greek New Testament by Kurt Aland, Matthew Black, Carlo M. Martini and Bruce M. Metzger

Should these suffice or would you add something? Where best to start from? Any good free online websites with NT Greek resources that you can recommend and especially ones for learning NT Greek?

Thank you!

For His Glory-
Matthew

I'd reccomend a Reader's Greek NT if you don't have one (i.e. one with vocab helps at the bottom) - Zondervan have one and there is a UBS verson now as well but it is bulkier. It'll help you actually read the NT rather than just study the language isolated from the text.

Biggest help in my estimation is to work at simply reading the text.
That is where one of the reader's versions could be helpful. Do some research-- one of those editions hs sharper, easier to read text than the other, which has kind of faint! thin print.

Another approach, at least initially, is to translate a verse or two per day.

I have been tutoring Greek for the past 5 years. My recommendations:

Lexical Aids for Students of New Testament Greek by Bruce Metzger - the section on morphology is critical for understanding Greek and is usually not contained in beginning grammars

Linguistics for Students of New Testament Greek by David Black - skip the phonology section; the rest is great

Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics by Daniel Wallace - tough resource, but worth it, especially because it treats so many difficult resources; a reference grammar

It's Still Greek to Me by David Black - covers in abbreviated form much of the same info as Wallace's GGBB, but much easier to read straight through and use on your own

Koine Greek Reader by Rodney Decker - a great selection of annotated texts; well worth your time and effort

A Grammar of the Greek New Testament by A. T. Robertson - oldie but a goodie; slightly dated, but often strikingly perceptive grammar

Looks like you've got the tools.

Now comes the hard part of memorizing vocabulary and paradigms.

Have fun!

Oh, if you used Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek, then you may get some good use out of Mounce's A Graded Reader of Biblical Greek. It has progressively more difficult readings that reinforce concepts from the first book; it provides some good practice while one transitions to an intermediate text.

I'd reccomend a Reader's Greek NT if you don't have one (i.e. one with vocab helps at the bottom) - Zondervan have one and there is a UBS verson now as well but it is bulkier. It'll help you actually read the NT rather than just study the language isolated from the text.

Can anyone recommend a large print Reader? It is hard to tell from pictures on the web.

Ken I'd don't know if there is a large print one...but the UBS is bigger than Zondervan I think.

That is becoming more and more an issue for me as I get older. That's why I like the Kindle. For example, I bought Quicken 1.7.1 and can't use it because there is no way to adjust the font size. It makes my head hurt.

From what I can tell, the font is different between the two Readers, but the size only 11 for both.

For the iPad, the Olive Tree Bible Reader allow you to set the font sizes.

Two Greek New Testaments--Scrivener 1894 and Byzantine unparsed, and the Westminster Leningrad Codex for the OT, are available.

What you can't do is swipe the screen to increase the font size. Must be fixed in the settings section.

The nice thing is that those editions are free. For the most part they have sufficed for my purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back