Eschatological Implications of Micah 7:18-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unworthy_Servant

Puritan Board Freshman
"Who is a God like you, pardoning iniquity and passing over transgression for the remnant of his inheritance? He does not retain his anger forever, because he delights in steadfast love. He will again have compassion on us; he will tread our iniquities underfoot. You will cast all our sins into the depths of the sea. You will show faithfulness to Jacob and steadfast love to Abraham, as you have sworn to our fathers from the days of old." (Micah 7:18-20 ESV)

I have been reading through the prophets recently, and this text has been a huge source of comfort and encouragement for me. A few days ago I shared this text to a Christian brother, and it ended up leading to him explaining how this text applies to premillennialist eschatology; the remnant of Israel being preserved for Christ's thousand year reign. Now, I'm not very well read on eschatological positions, but it seems to me that this text is already fulfilled. It would appear from the plain reading of the text that this is shadowing Christ's work on the cross to fulfill the covenant made to Abraham and Jacob in saving God's elect and pardoning them from all unrighteousness. Am I inconsistent to conclude that this passage is already fulfilled?

Am I inconsistent to conclude that this passage is already fulfilled?

Not at all. Consider the matter as decided by synodical deliberation in Acts 15, expressing the mind of the Holy Ghost by the church. The rebuilding of the tabernacle of David is for the purpose that the residue of men and all the Gentiles might seek after the Lord. In the illustration provided in Ephesians 2, the Jew-Gentile church built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief corner-stone, is revealed by the Holy Spirit to be the temple which God Himself rebuilds as the habitation of His presence and glory.

These promises are scattered throughout the prophets. They were hugely encouraging to those who faced exile and hundreds of years of prophetic silence. Those promises are hugely encouraging to us who await Jesus' return.

Beware those who try to take scripture and fit it into a preconceived, neat theological box.

It's fun to read through the Minor Prophets you all kinds of things like this but really lines up with the rest of Scripture and fits very well....... seems are you are going along you will run into readings like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back