Eph 2:8-9 Grace, Saved, or Faith - "that" which one is not from yourselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheElk

Puritan Board Freshman
NASB
Eph 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;

The word for grace (G5485) is masculine, saved (G4982) is masculine as well. Faith (G4102) is feminine. The word for "that" or "this" (G3778) is neutral. So which one is not from ourselves and is the gift of God?

I agree with Tim. I believe the τουτο is a reference to the entire phrase, "by grace you have been saved through faith." It is pointing to the process, not the individual components of the process.

Could we say that τουτο is referencing "gift?" This would make the translation, "And this gift of God is not of your own doing." "gift" is in the nominative here.

I am thinking probably not because none of the translations have it this way, but I would be curious as to what others here think.

The neuter is often (usually?) employed when a whole series of things (having various 'gender') is referred to.

TOUTO is singular, should it be plural? Or if referring to the whole clause be considered singular? I'm weak on the Greek. Thanks a lot for the help. I've been learning more and more as I dig.

Yes I agree. The fact that it is separated by a "kai" and is a demonstrative pronoun points to it referring the whole first phrase of the verse. I don't know a whole lot about the style in Ephesians, but I think if it was Paul's intent to draw attention to one of the elements rather than all of them he might have used a relative article. Also, I think both grace and faith are in the feminine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back