Epektasis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren

Puritan Board Freshman
Forgetting those things that are behind, and reaching forth [epekteinomenon, from whence the word epektasis] unto those things which are before, I press towards the mark. - Phil 3:13

But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord. - 2 Cor 3:18​

Is Gregory of Nyssa's concept of a perpetual progress in the divine nature compatible with scripture?

Is Gregory of Nyssa's concept of a perpetual progress in the divine nature compatible with scripture?

It seems to me that Gregory’s optimistic asceticism is at odds with Western thought wherein nature and grace are bifurcated. The Eastern views of theosis are at work here in Gregory's views. Per the item cited below,

"In Eastern thought nature opens out into the frontier between created and uncreated reality extending to eternity; it is the open-ended and graced realm of participation in God. Gregory sees the final repose of creatures being a perpetual becoming, morally and ontologically, as human nature opens itself anew again and again in relation to the Uncreated and Infinite."​

For a more thorough treatment see Maximus the Confessor, Gregory of Nyssa, and the Concept of "Perpetual Progress", Paul M. Blowers, Vigiliae Christianae, Vol. 46, No. 2 (Jun., 1992), pp. 151-171. The paper is available at JSTOR.

As long as theosis is not used to supplant other biblical categories like covenant, justification, et al., I think it is a fine category. I myself do not really have a problem with it, as long as the stipulation I had is held to, which is often not the case with EO's.

I second the Blowers reference.

Also depends on how theosis is being glossed by whichever Easterner is speaking.

Thanks, gentlemen. :)

In John 10, Jesus interprets Psalm 82(?), "If he called them gods..." We are begotten of God in a way deeper than adoption really implies. Epektasis and theosis appear superior to the doctrine of adoption... A truly new and ascetic life begins in regeneration, that separates a man for living in eternal glory with God, that no creature yet can experience. Adoption doesn't have that weightiness.

Last edited:
Epektasis and theosis appear superior to the doctrine of adoption...

I suppose it depends what you mean. 1 John 3:1-2 might seem to indicate that if adoption is the height of currently enjoyed privilege there is still something further to be expected, but Romans 8 seems to make sonship and heirship supremely significant categories even for the ultimate consummation.

Depends on what you say happens in theosis. Is my human nature getting "God-ified" with the divine energies?

Depends on what you say happens in theosis. Is my human nature getting "God-ified" with the divine energies?

And even if my human nature is getting God-ified, what exactly would that look like? Honest question. When you hear people speak of theosis in unguarded terms, just ask them what they mean. Ask kindly but firmly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back