EP, Split Thread From "What shall we sing?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, say, as a cessationist, you remove the revelation and tongues part - are you saying the prescription for the descriptive action (assembly) is not relevant now for the things that remain?

JD,
You do not believe the singing of Psalms are prescribed in Scripture?

Certainly I do! :)

Furthermore, I believe the Psalms are prescriptive for worship. That is - all forms and elements of worship described in the Psalms not specifically revoked in the NT are allowed for the church. I believe this is in line with the RPW.

Last edited:
So, say, as a cessationist, you remove the revelation and tongues part - are you saying the prescription for the descriptive action (assembly) is not relevant now for the things that remain?

It's relevant in terms of analogous application to an ordinary situation. It isn't normative for determining what actions should take place in congregational gatherings. From the NT as a whole we see what should take place under an ordinary situation, and from 1 Cor. 14 we may deduce principles which apply to this situation; e..g., seeking to edifying others by engaging in one activity with one speaker at a time, and ensuring all communication is intelligible. That is the main thrust of the passage. Then there are other lessons to be drawn from the details of the passage; e.g., because preaching is thought to be a kind of ordinary prophesying, the rules about other prophets judging what is prophesied would also be applicable to preaching. One might also argue from the greater to the lesser: if extraordinary revelation does not give warrant to a woman to speak, then ordinary revelation less so. But the passage could only be a justification for individual singing in the situation of continuing special revelation, which I would maintain is now ceased; and in the case of 1st Corinthians we must remember that the apostle intended to set everything in a proper order when he came personally amongst them, 1 Cor. 11:34, so we should not be surprised to see him providing temporary solutions to a situation which was in complete confusion.

1 Corinthians 14:26

26What is the outcome then, brethren? When you assemble, each one has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation Let all things be done for edification.

I am willing to concede that Paul was writing to correct the praxis of the Corinthians, but not the elements of assembly.

I am also willing to concede, in principle, that all elements described are not mandated for the post-apostolic church.

For those elements that remain - I believe it is substantiation to the elements of assembly and is useful in the overall praxis of church assembly.

I think it would be worthwhile to understand who the "each one" refers to in context - would that be "each one of the ordained officers" or "each and every one"?

1 Corinthians 14:26

26What is the outcome then, brethren? When you assemble, each one has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation Let all things be done for edification.

I think it would be worthwhile to understand who the "each one" refers to in context - would that be "each one of the ordained officers" or "each and every one"?

From my study of numerous authors and the Greek text, I am convinced that when Paul says "each one has a psalm," he is using the distributive case. In other words, if I look out over a congregation, and they have their psalters open to a particular Psalm, I can legitimately say "each one has a psalm."

Otherwise, In my humble opinion, you would HAVE to cede to the observation that everyone in the congregation has made up a psalm - a highly unlikely event.

Note carefully that in all of the spiritual gifts that Paul talks about in I Corinthians chapters 12-14, there is no mention of "hymn writing" as a spiritual gift, nor any description of what a qualified "hymn writer" must have to do it for the congregation. I find that fact to be highly significant. (Note that there is no hint that the interpretations of the tongues were sung - they were spoken.)

I think the earlier text illuminates "each one" is not "each and every one" for each element mentioned:

1 Cor 2:

7Now you are Christ's body, and individually members of it.

28And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues.

29All are not apostles, are they? All are not prophets, are they? All are not teachers, are they? All are not workers of miracles, are they?

30All do not have gifts of healings, do they? All do not speak with tongues, do they? All do not interpret, do they?

I think the earlier text illuminates "each one" is not "each and every one" for each element mentioned:

1 Cor 2:

7Now you are Christ's body, and individually members of it.

28And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues.

29All are not apostles, are they? All are not prophets, are they? All are not teachers, are they? All are not workers of miracles, are they?

30All do not have gifts of healings, do they? All do not speak with tongues, do they? All do not interpret, do they?

Where is the "each one" in this passage?

Paul is talking about individual gifts here, while in the I Corinthians 14 passage he is talking about congregational worship in verses 25-27. Two very different things, so it would be no means be out of the question for him to use "each one" in a distributive sense. Again, I am not making this up, this sense is noted by several reformed commentators I have read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back