EP or non-EP and play an instrument?

Are you EP or non-EP and do you play an instrument? Which one(s)? Voice doesn't count

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
so - JohnV - I ken you are non-EP, but did not include you in the analysis - are you picking a position? will you vote?

no lukewarmers, now... :D

J.D. I was just busting your chops. It certainly makes sense that a very accomplished musician, by virtue of his talent, might resist EP especially if he grew up in a Church that was not. The EP position is extremely rare, except on this board. I had been Reformed for a number of years before I even knew they existed. My own ignorance of Reformed theology combined with all the Presbyterian Churches I attended where non-EP was just assumed and I had never met a person that didn't believe in no instruments except the Church of Christ folk.

Hey, no worries, brother - I can take it! :D

so - JohnV - I ken you are non-EP, but did not include you in the analysis - are you picking a position? will you vote?

no lukewarmers, now... :D

By default, I guess I'm non-EP. But that's just because I am devoutly opposed to adding things on the basis of the RPW or the WCF, and not on Scripture alone. This puts me decidedly into the non-EP camp, whether I like it or not. It also puts the RPW and the WCF against themselves. That's really what I'm against. It's not so much that I'm against EP, because I can see where it would be a good temporary policy for some churches.

By default, I guess I'm non-EP. But that's just because I am devoutly opposed to adding things on the basis of the RPW or the WCF, and not on Scripture alone. This puts me decidedly into the non-EP camp, whether I like it or not. It also puts the RPW and the WCF against themselves. That's really what I'm against. It's not so much that I'm against EP, because I can see where it would be a good temporary policy for some churches.

That's a good way of putting it.

For the sake of the RPW, I would love to move some Churches away from their focus on cultural forms that cause the Church to segragate so much on Sunday AM. I'm also bothered by music leaders who know more about music than they do about theology and are more focused on the excellency of the music. I don't know anybody here well enough to attribute that to anyone here. I have, however, met those who can't distinguish between their love for music and what is pleasing to God. They're always on the cutting edge of introducing new things and, unfortunately, some Elders never reign them in because they don't understand the RPW very well either.

That's long way of saying that I'd love to just jettison the music and the hymns for a while and just sing Psalms with a congregation almost as a measure, like Calvin did with images, to remove the idolatry of the music so they can focus on communal worship.

BUT, my problem is that I don't have this strong conviction that I know others do here where they consider uninspired hymns to be strange fire. Thus, I will not separate myself from an entire denomination solely to get away from hymn and praise chorus singing.

So, I'm kind of caught in the middle. Non-EP who is bugged by the excesses of the non-EPers but doesn't want to shun the non-EP's in worship and become strictly EP in my affiliation.

non EP - we sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. I don't play any musical instruments but we are generally accompanied by some combination of keyboard, bass, guitar and/or mandolin. We do some songs a cappella (especially new ones until we really learn the songs).

We're particularly blessed to have a music leader who is an extremely talented composer and has put multiple psalms and other Scripture passages to music so we have a fair number of original songs. We do sing some contemporary worship songs, but are extremely discerning about the content. No "Jesus is my boyfriend" or "7-11" songs.

After seeing the compiled data I figured I better update my original resonse. (Seeing how this poll is so scientific)

Guitar 35 years
Trombone 32 years
Piano 25 years
Everything else 20 years
I have been leading worship for only 5 years

:lol:

Thanks - I'll update - based on the analysis factors, you almost are a "net out"...:D

Non-EP --
piano.gif
for probably 10 years now (but I haven't played in a while)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back