EP or non-EP and play an instrument?

Are you EP or non-EP and do you play an instrument? Which one(s)? Voice doesn't count

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Non-EP, although I do appreciate the psalms, and try to incorporate them into worship where possible. In church, I prefer that the congregation sing hymns/psalms/discriminating contemporary songs with a simple piano accompaniment, so that the harmony of the voices may be heard and improved.

Played trumpet for five years, then electric guitar for eight years, followed by classical guitar for about ten. Also studied baroque and renaissance recorders for about a year in early music performance, and loved it. Played a little bit of lute during my classical studies, and I think that I'd like to purchase one after seminary, and get into that again. It has a better repertoire than the classical guitar in many ways, and you don't have to grow nails to play it!

I am a bit confused about the intent of the original question. Do you mean does your church use/not use instruments in worship?

I attend a church that is strongly against musical instruments in worship, but we do not sing psalms exclusively, or even mainly. We sing shapenote hymns acapella.

I would like to learn a musical instrument (ideally this would be concertina, but more realistically would likely be piano) but would never use it in public worship.

hmm, I confess I did not expect such an even spread...:detective:

Didn't you say in a recent EP debate that you felt like EP was the majority position on the board? :think: Maybe my memory is just bad but either way I think it seems obvious that that isn't the case!

Didn't you say in a recent EP debate that you felt like EP was the majority position on the board? :think: Maybe my memory is just bad but either way I think it seems obvious that that isn't the case!

Yah, maybe the vocal minority clouded my understanding? :D

Even so, I thought there might be a disparity in the EP instrumental v. non-instrumental. Interesting results.

Even so, I thought there might be a disparity in the EP instrumental v. non-instrumental. Interesting results.

I thought that's what you wondered - all those EP people can't play an instrument so, of course, they'd want to do away with instruments...

Come on, you were thinking it! :lol:

Response

Been an EP / singing a cappella for about seven years now.

I mostly play the guitar and have been learning the bagpipes. My children also play musical instruments.

Brian M. Hanley
Grace Presbyterian Church
Parsippany New Jersey
a congregation of WPCUS

That was your assumption??? That EPers just aren't instrumentalists outside of the church?

Wow...big leap...LOL!

I thought that's what you wondered - all those EP people can't play an instrument so, of course, they'd want to do away with instruments...

Come on, you were thinking it! :lol:

What I was thinking...and I have not analyzed it yet - is that the more traditionally "free form" instrumentalists - long-time guitarists and other more "folk oriented, non-sight readers" would predominate the non-EP instrumental category.

Anyone feel free to go back and give a read on that? Sight-reading oriented instruments would be the more orchestral/school band/keyboard types and what I would have assumed to predominate the EP category.

What I am surprised to see is the statistically even distribution among the EPer's and non-EPer's, in general.

Last edited:
I am surprised at the EP/non-EP numbers because every other poll I have seen here have shown that EP dominates the board.

Me, too - I mean - take a look here - maybe we have some newer folks since the earlier poll...I dunno.

That poll still doesn't show an EP majority. It was split almost right down the middle between EP and the other three choices. And it's probably an example of all the EP people coming out of the woodworks to get a high poll score and the non-EPers just looking over it, especially after see this poll which didn't take place too much longer after that one you linked to.

That poll still doesn't show an EP majority. It was split almost right down the middle between EP and the other three choices. And it's probably an example of all the EP people coming out of the woodworks to get a high poll score and the non-EPers just looking over it, especially after see this poll which didn't take place too much longer after that one you linked to.

Could be...I dunno - we had almost 12 more folks vote on this one...'bout the same number of EPers, though.

Not like it is a scientific poll, just testing a hypothesis.

What I was thinking...and I have not analyzed it yet - is that the more traditionally "free form" instrumentalists - long-time guitarists and other more "folk oriented, non-sight readers" would predominate the non-EP instrumental category.

Anyone feel free to go back and give a read on that? Sight-reading oriented instruments would be the more orchestral/school band/keyboard types and what I would have assumed to predominate the EP category.

What I am surprised to see is the statistically even distribution among the EPer's and non-EPer's, in general.

J.D. I was just busting your chops. It certainly makes sense that a very accomplished musician, by virtue of his talent, might resist EP especially if he grew up in a Church that was not. The EP position is extremely rare, except on this board. I had been Reformed for a number of years before I even knew they existed. My own ignorance of Reformed theology combined with all the Presbyterian Churches I attended where non-EP was just assumed and I had never met a person that didn't believe in no instruments except the Church of Christ folk.

I lead worship occasionally on guitar and hope to lead worship occasionally on piano soon. (I have been practicing my hymns) (I secretly would like to have a SATB choir at the church someday)

As a music teacher I play just about everything well enough to be one page ahead of the students at all times. ;)

I used to play trombone professionally.

how long on these?

non-EP, I play electric and double bass. I don't currently own a double bass, though - those things can be pricey!

I also compose, but that's beside the topic of this thread, I guess. I just bring it up because a friend of mine asked me to compose a soundtrack for his very Dispensational documentary. It was a pretty interesting experience.

how long?

I didn't vote.

Though I am against the oft-argued EP that shown up of late, I am not against an EP that is imposed as a discretionary policy for a church or a denomination as a temporary measure. I can well see the need for it in some places.

So there isn't a category for me to vote for.

That seems logical to me, but I think you should've phrased the question differently then. Perhaps, you should've asked the musicians whether they can sight read and whether they are EP or non-ep.

Naturally, sight reading is very valuable singing accappella. I think even in EP churches ppl who can are probably a small minority. For most people many of the settings have become familiar and all you need is one strong voice to lead during those that aren't. In my own church I can think of at least 5 of about 50 members who can.

When I play guitar I play about half an hour at least. It's about 40 1/2" long. Is that what you mean, JD? Or are you talking about the 35 years that its taken me to get as bad at it as I am?

I think the questions should be more attuned (do you like that pun?) to the question of what music is. Does it reflect heavenly worship? If so, how? If not, then what is music?

Presentation1.jpg

Some preliminary analysis - I gave everyone an average of 5 years if they did not specify how long they played.

KOyears = Keyboard/Orchestral instruments

Syears = Folk string type instruments

here is the compiled data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back