EP or non-EP and play an instrument?

Are you EP or non-EP and do you play an instrument? Which one(s)? Voice doesn't count

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

panta dokimazete

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
Just curious...

EP = Exclusive Psalmody, in case you are a newbie...

Oh, if you do play an instrument, post which one(s) and for how long.

I'll vote, then post mine.

Grace and Peace,

-JD

Last edited:
I've played
Piano for 15 years
Guitar (electric) for 6 years
Drums (baaaaadly) for 3 years.

I'm yet to be convinced about EP, although I see great benefits, and am far further off on the issue of instruments.

Guitar (rhythm and lead) - 25 years
Bass (electric) - 18 years / (upright) 2 years
Mandolin - 2 years
Drums - 1 year
Keyboards - 4 years

Not quantified: recorder, tin whistle, harmonica, trombone...I'm sure there are others...

I've been EP (non-instrumental!) for about 6.5 years.

I took piano lessons for 11 years (2d grade through 12th grade). I don't now own a piano, or keyboard, or anything else; but I still try to play whenever I get the chance.

I guess you could also count my two years in "marching" band, 11th and 12th grades, when I played in the front ensemble (affectionately called "the pit") -- xylophone, marimba, vibes, bells, etc. -- having been put there because of my piano background.

Non-EP. Acoustic and electric guitar for ten years, piano sporadically for almost as long. Can also hack it on bass and drums.

Non-EP. I've played the guitar for about 25 years, though very sporadically for the last 15.

Even though I'm not EP, I am more sympathetic to EP ideas of worship than those I worship with who give it nary a thought. I was a "worship leader" in a non-denominational Church about 12 years ago. I didn't play but sang because, frankly, my musicianship was not up to par with others who were at a professional level. When I moved to VA it took me some time to get over not being in the front of a Church singing. Whether many who "lead" worship will admit it or not, there is a performance aspect of it for many bands. It's the reason why it's common for them to forego Sunday School so they can practice and be really tight.

I was not Reformed at the time and learned, fairly well, all the good techniques and how to arrange the music for the week. Honestly, as good as we were musically, I count it all rubbish as I do most praise music that is performed on any given Sunday. I'm not a bad guitar player and I have a decent voice but I never desire to "lead" worship music anymore.

EP over 12 years now.

Musically I am mostly self-taught. I only began to learn to read music in my early 30's. I took piano for a couple of years when I was around 40, again, I taught myself. I can still play simple tunes with one hand. The Scottish Psalmody is a good fit for me.

I'm non EP and play rhythm guitar (acoustic and electric). We do not use contemporary music in church.

Non EP.

Trumpet, baritone horn, trombone, 35 years.
Piano, 30 years.
Harpsichord, organ, guitar, harmonica, fiddle, water-filled jugs, flute, 29 years.
Baroque recorder 12 years.

I'd like to learn the cello, maybe in 4 years.

I don't play anything in our church. We have simple piano accompaniment only. (I used to be a church organist in my pagan days, but now I'd prefer a cappella).

Piano. Took lessons as a child, didn't play much as a younger adult, then later sang and played and even led worship for a spell. Currently one of several pianists at church. I'm just mediocre at it.

Non-EP; I've played the piano for about 10 years (and am currently on the pianist rotation for my church).

Non EP

I lead worship occasionally on guitar and hope to lead worship occasionally on piano soon. (I have been practicing my hymns) (I secretly would like to have a SATB choir at the church someday)

As a music teacher I play just about everything well enough to be one page ahead of the students at all times. ;)

I used to play trombone professionally.

Non EP. Have played banjo and guitar for 25yrs.

Oh yeah, I forgot I play the banjo. I have a plectrum Banjo made by the Bacon company that went out of business during the Great Depression. It was given to me by my Grandmother whose cousin was the State champion Banjo player in Connecticut many, many years ago.

I guess I didn't count it because it doesn't take any real additional skill to play the plectrum Banjo. Of course, I'm not really good at it.

EP

I played the trumpet throughout gradeschool/highschool. I picked up the guitar a few years ago, and enjoyed playing it.

I'm non-EP. I've played Trumpet for 12 years, 6 for junior and senior high, and 6 for the military. I also can play Euphonium and valve Trombone.

I took the Recorder in elementary, but I sucked at that!

non-EP, I play electric and double bass. I don't currently own a double bass, though - those things can be pricey!

I also compose, but that's beside the topic of this thread, I guess. I just bring it up because a friend of mine asked me to compose a soundtrack for his very Dispensational documentary. It was a pretty interesting experience.

I'm non-EP. I've played Trumpet for 12 years, 6 for junior and senior high, and 6 for the military. I also can play Euphonium and valve Trombone.

I took the Recorder in elementary, but I sucked at that!
That was your problem. You're supposed to blow.

OH, and I'm non-EP in one way and EP in another way. It's a good discretionary policy for some churches, but it isn't necessarily the case for all churches.

I mostly play the guitar. But I used to play the piano a lot. And before that I tried my hand at the banjo, the mandolin, the uke, the base guitar, and the pipe organ. I can sing a bit too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back