Entertaining myself

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Humor' started by VictorBravo, Aug 2, 2019.

1. VictorBravo

VictorBravo Administrator Staff Member

The forum is entertainment and recreation, so I figured I'd give an update on a couple of diversions I allow myself time for when I'm not working, reading, or worshipping.

The past few years have been extraordinarily busy for me, but I manage to scrounge around 5-10 hours per week for those things we call recreation.

There is fishing in a homemade boat:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And around a year and a half ago I ordered a bunch of 4130 chrome moly tubing, some of which came bent.

[​IMG]

And welded thngs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Late last month I wheeled out a fuselage from my shop:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I'm working on ribs....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was thinking about numbering my days and it is important to me to keep a balance. Over the past year I have around 250 hours on the plane project and 130 hours spent fishing. My work hours are much higher, but I've learned to keep them moderated. Then there are about 700+ hours in reading Scripture and Christian works (that's really not much, less than 2 hours per day). The recreation and Scripture time is often spent with my wife, and we seem to derive a lot of pleasure from all of that.

So this is all a simple reflection of how blessed I am at being allowed to live a remarkably full and busy life, yet a simple life. Of course, I'm very slack at social media and keeping up with the latest political and social trends, but that's what the PuritanBoard is for!

2. Guido's Brother

Guido's Brother Puritan Board Junior

Brother, I share your interests in both fishing and aviation. Today was the first day of our trout season here in Tasmania and I caught a beautiful brown. Now I'm off to do some flying -- via Flight Simulator.

First Trout.jpg

3. earl40

earl40 Puritan Board Post-Graduate

So you are still building the instruments of your death. :) Now show us some of the fish you catch.

4. Phil D.

Phil D. Puritan Board Sophomore

Curious if you used a marketed blueprint for the airplane frame, or did you just...wing it?

5. VictorBravo

Bass

[​IMG]

Trout from a nearby mountain lake

[​IMG]

We will be chasing steelhead in a couple of months.

The design is based on a Piper PA-14:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pip...IEigC&cshid=1564839202523479&biw=1171&bih=568

Wag Aero put out a set of updated plans in the 1980s and called it the "Sportsman 2+2". I have copies of original drawings and the Wag Aero plans as well.

I also spent a fair amount of time doing stress analysis of the structure and now I'm pretty confident that I could design a competent airframe at this point, but I'm going with the tried and true on this project.

6. VictorBravo

Thanks for the photo, Wes. I like seeing trout from different parts of our world.

7. AnnaBanana

AnnaBanana Puritan Board Freshman

Wow! I enjoyed looking at the pics, thank you

8. Susan777

Susan777 Puritan Board Freshman

That is a BEAUTIFUL trout! They really grow big in Idaho.

9. timfost

timfost Puritan Board Junior

Well, my bass isn't anything to brag about, but it was still fun to catch. It's from the creek right behind my house.

I really enjoyed seeing everyone's pics, especially the fish. :) 0_IMG-20190812-WA0001.jpg

10. Susan777

That wouldn’t be Marsh Creek by any chance?

11. timfost

timfost Puritan Board Junior

Conewago Creek. Are you familiar with the area?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  12. Harley

Harley Puritan Board Sophomore

Soon the fish will wise up, and will just come out and offer to take selfies with us. :surrender:You get your Facebook likes, they save a piercing.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  13. Susan777

I’ve run Marsh Creek near Gettysburg a number of times when it’s running as well as Middle Creek. Would like to do Codorus sometime.

14. VictorBravo

I keep looking for one with a coin in its mouth. When that happens, I might join Facebook.

15. C. M. Sheffield

C. M. Sheffield Puritan Board Junior

Victor,

You seem like an incredibly interesting man. I am not handy at all and I stand in awe of guys like yourself who can do this kind of stuff. I feel sure I would enjoy just following you around and watching you work and listening to you explain stuff as you do. Thank you for the post. I'm grateful for this little glimpse into your life.

P.S. If the church in Lewiston ever needed pulpit supply, I might know a guy who'd be interested. ;)

16. Harley

Harley Puritan Board Sophomore

Offer a complementary lip ring to go with the piercing and they might tip you. And they'll be easier to catch next year.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  17. VictorBravo

Thanks! We are small but enthusiastic. I'll keep you in mind.

Vic