English Reformation

Discussion in 'Church History' started by ValiantforTruth, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ValiantforTruth

ValiantforTruth Puritan Board Freshman

I am looking for a good single volume history of the English Reformation for an advanced reading group I am in. Hetherington was a good start, but he was more narrowly concerned with the Westminster Assembly.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Dragoon

Dragoon Puritan Board Freshman

the only one I can think of is:
    Voices of the English Reformation: A Sourcebook
    By: John N. King
    University of Pennsylvania Press / 2004

3. MW

MW Puritan Board Doctor

In terms of modern studies, Dickens' "English Reformation" is excellent and renowned. Those who enjoy the romantic style of the 19th century will find Daubigne's account rewarding. The section on the English Reformation was published by Banner of Truth as an independent set. The classical style of M'Crie is excellent in his Annals of English Presbytery. It provides the roots of English Christianity before the Reformation and traces the effects of the Reformation through the Puritan movement, as well as the post-Puritan history of the Presbyterian movement in England.

4. PuritanCovenanter

PuritanCovenanter Moderator Staff Member

The only book I am familiar with is a biographical one by J. C. Ryle. It is out of print and hard to find now. But it is an excellent book.

Amazon.com: Light From Old Times (Complete Works of J.C. Ryle) (9780967760308): John Charles Ryle, Douglas Wilson, J. C. Liverpool: Books

5. PuritanCovenanter

PuritanCovenanter Moderator Staff Member

6. ValiantforTruth

ValiantforTruth Puritan Board Freshman

Thanks, guys. Dickens is perfect, exactly what I wanted. So it shall be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.