Elder Requirements with Attendence

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertPGH1981

Puritan Board Sophomore
Hello All,

I am looking for guidance on Elder Requirements without appealing to the Sabbath commandments. Some Baptist congregations view the Sabbath as being fulfilled in Christ, in which the requirement becomes a matter of Christian conscience rather than direct commandment. Those with this view typically appeal to versus like Romans 14:1-5. By using this interpretation it then becomes somewhat optional to attend church on Sunday, as its no longer a direct commandment found within scripture.

With that said, I am not looking to discuss the Sabbath Commandment directly. I am looking for appeals in scripture for regular church attendance without appealing to the Sabbath commands. To summarize, can one appeal to regular Sunday attendence without using the Sabbath commands summarized in the 1689 LBC Chapter 22, 7-8? How could you apply attendance to different members of the body such as lay members, deacons and elders?

Thanks!

Some verses that come to mind:
"not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near." -Hebrews 10:25 (NASB), an explicit command

"They were continually devoting themselves to the apostles' teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer." -Acts 2:42 (NASB), a New Testament example

Psalm 84, an example of where our heart should be with regard to regular worship of God

Also, don't all SBC churches hold to either the 1963 or the 2000 BF&M? While it doesn't explicitly call the Lord's Day the Sabbath like the LBCF/WCF/etc. (only implies it by the Scripture proofs), it nevertheless sees a connection between the first day of the week Lord's Day and regular worship attendance.

2000 BF&M: (underlines mine)
The first day of the week is the Lord's Day. It is a Christian institution for regular observance. It commemorates the resurrection of Christ from the dead and should include exercises of worship and spiritual devotion, both public and private. Activities on the Lord's Day should be commensurate with the Christian's conscience under the Lordship of Jesus Christ.

Exodus 20:8-11; Matthew 12:1-12; 28:1ff.; Mark 2:27-28; 16:1-7; Luke 24:1-3,33-36; John 4:21-24; 20:1,19-28; Acts 20:7; Romans 14:5-10; I Corinthians 16:1-2; Colossians 2:16; 3:16; Revelation 1:10.

1963 BF&M:
The first day of the week is the Lord's Day. It is a Christian institution for regular observance. It commemorates the resurrection of Christ from the dead and should be employed in exercises of worship and spiritual devotion, both public and private, and by refraining from worldly amusements, and resting from secular employments, work of necessity and mercy only being excepted.

Ex. 20:8-11; Matt. 12:1-12; 28:1ff.; Mark 2:27-28; 16:1-7; Luke 24:1-3,33-36; John 4:21-24; 20:1,19-28; Acts 20:7; 1 Cor. 16:1-2; Col. 2:16; 3:16; Rev. 1:10.

BF&M source: http://www.sbc.net/bfm2000/bfmcomparison.asp

Thanks for the reply Jake.

I like the verses that you posted and I will look at them in more detail. In reference to the BF&M the alignment to the Sabbath would be more akin to the modernized 2000 BF&M and not the one found in 1963. The last statement says, "Activities on the Lord's Day should be commensurate with the Christian's conscience under the Lordship of Jesus Christ." Hypothetically speaking, Because its a matter of conscience then one could argue that their conscience isn't convicting them to attend every Sunday, and any attempt of others to force the issue would be placing them under law.

How could you apply attendance to different members of the body such as lay members, deacons and elders?

I'm not sure what issue you are trying to address, between this and the title of your post.

Is the issue elders that think church attendance is optional, or is it whether church officers have a higher duty to attend than do members at large?

I'm not sure what issue you are trying to address, between this and the title of your post.

Is the issue elders that think church attendance is optional, or is it whether church officers have a higher duty to attend than do members at large?

The primary purpose is linked to determining requirements for Elders. The final question is would there be a difference between lay persons vs Elders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The final question is would there be a difference between lay persons vs Elders?

I doctrinal terms, the answer must be no. God's Word is the same for all. But in terms of discipline, yes, there is a higher standard and stricter judgment for those in leadership.

My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation.—James 3:1

Thanks for the reply Jake.

I like the verses that you posted and I will look at them in more detail. In reference to the BF&M the alignment to the Sabbath would be more akin to the modernized 2000 BF&M and not the one found in 1963. The last statement says, "Activities on the Lord's Day should be commensurate with the Christian's conscience under the Lordship of Jesus Christ." Hypothetically speaking, Because its a matter of conscience then one could argue that their conscience isn't convicting them to attend every Sunday, and any attempt of others to force the issue would be placing them under law.

Interesting. I read that statement (which seems more obvious when you have the 1963 and 2000 side-by-side) to be referring to activities you do on the Lord's Day besides worship; not to make worship itself on the Lord's Day optional.

Interesting. I read that statement (which seems more obvious when you have the 1963 and 2000 side-by-side) to be referring to activities you do on the Lord's Day besides worship; not to make worship itself on the Lord's Day optional.

When you say it that way it makes more sense. I think that may have been the intent but the language allows the expansion beyond just the activities.

When you say it that way it makes more sense. I think that may have been the intent but the language allows the expansion beyond just the activities.

The main reason I brought it up is that it's easy to appeal to the confession of your church for a requirement for eldership, even though I know that was not the exact question of your OP. Unfortunately as you show the language is not as precise as it could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back