elder ordination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preach

Puritan Board Sophomore
Can any Presbyterians tell me if it is necessary for all prospective elders to be ordained? Is there any difference in qualifications between the pastor/teacher and the other elders? Thanks,
Bobby

[quote:dda4087216][i:dda4087216]Originally posted by Preach[/i:dda4087216]
Can any Presbyterians tell me if it is necessary for all prospective elders to be ordained? Is there any difference in qualifications between the pastor/teacher and the other elders? Thanks,
Bobby [/quote:dda4087216]

Within the PCA, there are only two offices, Elder and Deacon. Both offices require ordination and installation. The requirements for the office of Elder are prescribed in Timothy and Titus. The PCA does differentiate roles within the office of Elder, ie; Teaching Elder and Ruling Elder, but this does not denote a heirarchy. This differentiation is based on the gifts given to this office, so there will be some additional requirements for a Teaching Elder versus a Ruling Elder. But either way the office of Elder is an office in which the man must be ordained.

What's the difference between an elder and a deacon? What Scripture passage(s) is the distinction based upon?

Chris

[quote:d9749cf32d][i:d9749cf32d]Originally posted by Me Died Blue[/i:d9749cf32d]
What's the difference between an elder and a deacon? What Scripture passage(s) is the distinction based upon?

Chris [/quote:d9749cf32d]

Ministry of service (deacon) and of word and prayer (elder). See Acts 6, 1 Timothy 3, Titus 1.

Yes, but the OPC and the RPCNA have it established in their written standards that Teaching Elders are examined and ordained by the presbyteries. Ruling Elders are examined and ordained by the session of the local congregations. This tends to create a de factor three office position even if other parts of their standards argue for a two office view.

I see congregational election of deacons in Acts 6. However, where is congregational election of elders?

In Acts 14:23 and Titus 1:5, it looks like the elders are being selected and installed/ordained from outside the congregation. It looks like they are being selected and installed/ordained by the presbytery as it would exist at that time. I see one procedure in both of these passages applying to all elders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back