Edwin Sandys on true unity in the gospel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
The Apostle requireth of us a double unity in Religion and in brotherly concord. Both are so necessary, that the one cannot stand long if the other fall. Unity in religion is a thing most to be desired. What is the worst thing of all others? Dissension. What the best? Unity, peace, and agreement: Thus thought Gregory. And we read that the Gospel had his beginning in unity, The multitude of them which believed had one heart and one soul.

Schism had his beginning of dissension: I am of Paul, I of Apollos, I of Cephas; this was that which rent the church of God in pieces. The Church is called the kingdom of God; the Ark of Noah, the body of Christ: to teach us that it should be at unity in itself. For a house, a ship, a body divided cannot continue. By themselves they are brought to ruin. Wherefore together with the blessed Apostle, I beseech you brethren by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ that ye all speak one thing, and that there be no dissensions among you: but bee ye knit together in one mind and in one judgment. ...

For more, see Edwin Sandys on true unity in the gospel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back