Edward Reynolds on resolving to forsake all sin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
This, then, we must first and principally remember, To set ourselves against all sin. In confession, none to be dissembled; in supplication, none to be excepted; in conversion, none to be reserved; never give it over so long as any is left. — “O Lord, yet it works, yet it lives, yet it tempts, yet it pains me. Sin hath not done accusing of me; let not thy mercy have done forgiving of sin. Sin hath not done rebelling in me; let not thy grace have done subduing of sin.” When men kill snakes or vipers, so long as they see them pant, or offer to thrust out a sting, they strike them still.

Sin, like the thief on the cross, when it is fast nailed, and kept from its old tyranny, yet will, as much as it can, revile and spit out venom upon Christ. O therefore give it not over; break the legs of it; crucify it clean through, till it be quite dead. None can pray, or turn unto God in truth, or hope to be delivered from judgements in mercy, so long as he holds fast any known sin. Can any man look to receive benefit by the blood of Christ, who hugs the villain that shed it? Is it not treason, knowingly to harbour and entertain a traitor? Whosoever loves and holds fast sin, lies unto God in every prayer that he makes. ...

For more, see Edward Reynolds on resolving to forsake all sin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back