Edward Pearse on the soul’s satisfaction in the divine presence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
‘Tis for a Soul to sit down satisfied with what God is, as all, and so it lies in a full and ample satisfaction, in, and with the Divine presence and fulness: ‘Tis for a Soul to take up, in, and with the blessed God, as his only and all-sufficient Portion and happiness for ever. God, my Beloved, is an All-sufficient God, he asserts his own All-sufficiency, Gen. 17.1. I am God all-sufficient, (says he to Abraham) q. d. I am infinitely sufficient for my self, and I am infinitely sufficient for thee and all my People, to make the one and the other happy for ever. God is an inexhaustible Fountain of Light, Life, Love, Blessedness, Perfection and Glory; there is all good in God, and he that has God has all. To him that overcometh will I give to inherit all things: And how so? I will be his God, Rev. 21.7. He has all good, all happiness in him, and in him we may find all as in its Fountain-fulness and purity.

Now the Soul, seeing God to be such a God, and withal looking upon him as his God in Covenant, sits down satisfied with him alone, saying, I have enough, I have all, and so is at Rest in him, whether he has much or little, any thing or nothing of this world's good; whether the streams run high or low with him, yet here is a Fountain of infinite sweetness and blessedness, and he drinks there, and satisfies himself there; he sees the Fountain is so full, that he needs not the streams to make him happy, and accordingly sits down satisfied therewith, and is at Rest: ...

For more, see Edward Pearse on the soul’s satisfaction in the divine presence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back