Eating, drinking and sleep related to killing? LC 135,136

Status
Not open for further replies.

shackleton

Puritan Board Junior
Question 135: What are the duties required in the sixth commandment?
Answer: The duties required in the sixth commandment are, all careful studies, and lawful endeavors, to preserve the life of ourselves and others by resisting all thoughts and purposes, subduing all passions, and avoiding all occasions, temptations, and practices, which tend to the unjust taking away the life of any; by just defense thereof against violence, patient bearing of the hand of God, quietness of mind, cheerfulness of spirit; a sober use of meat, drink, physic, sleep, labor, and recreations; by charitable thoughts, love, compassion, meekness, gentleness, kindness; peaceable, mild and courteous speeches and behavior; forbearance, readiness to be reconciled, patient bearing and forgiving of injuries, and requiting good for evil; comforting and succoring the distressed, and protecting and defending the innocent.

Question 136: What are the sins forbidden in the sixth commandment?
Answer: The sins forbidden in the sixth commandment are, all taking away the life of ourselves, or of others, except in case of public justice, lawful war, or necessary defense; the neglecting or withdrawing the lawful and necessary means of preservation of life; sinful anger, hatred, envy, desire of revenge; all excessive passions, distracting cares; immoderate use of meat, drink, labor, and recreations; provoking words, oppression, quarreling, striking, wounding, and: Whatsoever else tends to the destruction of the life of any.

A lot of things that have nothing to do with murder are lumped into the command, "Do not murder." Why is this? :confused:

The only thing I can think of is what it says in LC 99, "That as, where a duty is commanded, the contrary sin is forbidden; and, where a sin is forbidden, the contrary duty is commanded: so, where a promise is annexed, the contrary threatening is included; and, where a threatening is annexed, the contrary promise is included."

I guess where it says do not kill what it is not saying but implying is do good to others and where not killing oneself is included in "Do not kill" I guess the opposite of this would be treat yourself well.

I noticed that the portions of the LC which pertain to the law seem to follow Calvin's beliefs on the three used of the law.

The key is the word "tend"...to quote part of it..."which tend to the unjust taking away the life of"

A modern day example would be driving recklessly...

I will go out on a limb and say I always found it confusing why the catechisms must “lump” every possible sin under one of the ten commandments. Where does the bible portray the ten commandments in that light (that every possible duty or sin must fall under one of them)?

There are very specific verses in the bible that deal with eating, drinking, sleeping and work. Surely those are the first verses we should turn to in regulating those parts of our lives. The application of the sixth commandment to those things seems to be me to be very indirect, and practically speaking very rare.

To give another example, I do not understand why the catechism extends the application to the fifth commandment to “not only natural parents, but all superiors in age and gifts”. No, I do not for one second deny that God’s law is that board, but there are very specific verses that deal with honoring husbands, masters, government etc. Why should those things be included under a verse that says “honor thy father and mother?”

Based upon the belief that the 10 Commandments represent God's moral law, which itself perfectly contains all man's duty both to God and his fellow-man -- a complete rule of life. Thus, the commandments are interpreted in more than just their letter.

-----Added 12/22/2008 at 10:26:08 EST-----

See WCF 19.2

I will go out on a limb and say I always found it confusing why the catechisms must “lump” every possible sin under one of the ten commandments. Where does the bible portray the ten commandments in that light (that every possible duty or sin must fall under one of them)?

There are very specific verses in the bible that deal with eating, drinking, sleeping and work. Surely those are the first verses we should turn to in regulating those parts of our lives. The application of the sixth commandment to those things seems to be me to be very indirect, and practically speaking very rare.

To give another example, I do not understand why the catechism extends the application to the fifth commandment to “not only natural parents, but all superiors in age and gifts”. No, I do not for one second deny that God’s law is that board, but there are very specific verses that deal with honoring husbands, masters, government etc. Why should those things be included under a verse that says “honor thy father and mother?”

Jesus identified the 10 commandments as a summary of the Law:

Luk 18:18 And a ruler asked him, "Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?"
Luk 18:19 And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone.
Luk 18:20 You know the commandments: 'Do not commit adultery, Do not murder, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother.'"
Luk 18:21 And he said, "All these I have kept from my youth."​

Furthermore, when Jesus stated the two greatest commandments, I think people often roughly correlate them to the two orientations of the 10 commandments -- duty to God, duty to fellow man.

Mar 12:28 And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him, "Which commandment is the most important of all?"
Mar 12:29 Jesus answered, "The most important is, 'Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.
Mar 12:30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.'
Mar 12:31 The second is this: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these."​

Just as Christ teaches in the Sermon on the Mount that sinful anger is a violation of the Sixth Commandment because it tends towards the unjust taking of life, so likewise all other occasions of hindering, impairing, destroying and taking life are comprehended in this commandment. The Law is exceeding broad and it is spiritual, encompassing, in this instance, the promotion and preservation of our own and our neighbor's life, not excluding our diet, sleep and recreations, and forbidding the abuse of those things which tend to life.

http://www.puritanboard.com/f30/rules-understanding-ten-commandments-39511/

Just as Christ teaches in the Sermon on the Mount that sinful anger is a violation of the Sixth Commandment because it tends towards the unjust taking of life, so likewise all other occasions of hindering, impairing, destroying and taking life are comprehended in this commandment. The Law is exceeding broad and it is spiritual, encompassing, in this instance, the promotion and preservation of our own and our neighbor's life, not excluding our diet, sleep and recreations, and forbidding the abuse of those things which tend to life.

http://www.puritanboard.com/f30/rules-understanding-ten-commandments-39511/

Exactly. Living modestly with regard to food, drink, and labor, etc. tends to promote our own well-being, which is included in the 6th Commandment, which requires the preservation *of our own lives* as well as the lives of our neighbor. Going to the doctor as a use of means to get well is required under the 6th Commandment, when such means are deemed necessary. The Christian Scientist (Science falsely so called) does not understand this Scriptural principle, and many have endured long unnecessary sickness and even death at this unlawful refusal of means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back