Dual Authorship of Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

christianyouth

Puritan Board Senior
From a lot of Biblical studies guys, I've been hearing that Job must have been written by two authors. They say that the poetic dialogs which makes up the bulk of the book are written in an ancient form of Hebrew, while the Introduction and the conclusion part of the book is a later form of Hebrew that has Persian loan words.

The argument posed by some liberal scholars, most notably Erhman, is that the book of Job presents to us with two different answers to the question of why people suffer. The poetic dialogs give us the answer that we don't know why good people suffer, they just do, and God's ways are inscrutable. While the Intro + epilogue give a more classical answer to the question of suffering; Righteous people can suffer for a TIME, but in the end they will eventually be vindicated and blessed even more for their faithfulness.

What do you all think of this? Is there any evidence for the dual authorship of Job? Is there any evidence that the book of Job answers the problem of suffering in two different ways?

Thanks all. :)

-In Christ,
Andy.

Generally speaking, when scholars pursue this sort of thing they are distracting from WHAT the Bible says and casting doubt on its credibility. From what I've read, there is absolutely zero external testimony to support this idea. This sort of thing comes from academia. It's based merely on the testimony of linguistic "experts." Experts tend to like to make a name for themselves. Ultimately, there is one Author.

Stick that in the same category as those liberal scholars who think there are two authors of Isaiah, or even three authors...

In my humble opinion, the book of Job's intent is not to answer the "problem" of suffering. Rather, it is a testimony to the Sovereignty of God over blessings and suffering. It is a testimony that he owes no one explanation for anything and yet He sheweth forth mercy to His children.

As for the dual authorship of Job, I dunno. And it really doesn't bother me, since I believe the Holy Spirit is the one Whom speaks through the author(s).

Josh--

Your comment reminds me something I read from Dr. Thomas:

"...the lesson of the Book of Job, as well as the key to Christian piety in general, is submission to a sovereign and incomprehensible God..." -- Derek Thomas, Calvin's Teaching on Job (page 17).

As to authorship of JOB, I like what Jamieson, Fausset and Brown state:

"All that can be said with certainty is that the author was a loyal Hebrew who was not strictly bound by the popular creed that assumed suffering was always the direct result of sin."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back