Dr. Grant Horner's Bible-Reading System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another variation on the Horner plan, organized more strictly along the lines of the canon:

1. Pentateuch
2. Historical books (Joshua-Esther)
3. Job, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon
4. Psalms
5. Proverbs
6. Major Prophets
7. Minor Prophets
8. Gospels & Acts
9. Pauline Epistles
10. General Epistles & Revelation

If focus on a single book is desired (Romans, etc.), simply add an 11th group or combine the prophets to free up a 10th group.

As I've reflected on Horner's plan, I like it for the ability to be reading the whole canon of Scripture at once. The above is just another variation on that plan.

Another variation on the Horner plan, organized more strictly along the lines of the canon:

1. Pentateuch
2. Historical books (Joshua-Esther)
3. Job, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon
4. Psalms
5. Proverbs
6. Major Prophets
7. Minor Prophets
8. Gospels & Acts
9. Pauline Epistles
10. General Epistles & Revelation

If focus on a single book is desired (Romans, etc.), simply add an 11th group or combine the prophets to free up a 10th group.

As I've reflected on Horner's plan, I like it for the ability to be reading the whole canon of Scripture at once. The above is just another variation on that plan.

Is this your variation, Wayne, or is it from someone else? Just curious.

Mine, but all I'm doing is creating groupings that follow the natural breakdown of the canon of Scripture, plus following Horner a bit in further dividing the wisdom books.

OLD TESTAMENT--
Law: Genesis - Deut.
History: Joshua - Esther
Wisdom: Job - Song of Solomon
a. Job, Eccl., Song
b. Psalms
c. Proverbs
Major Prophets: Isaiah - Daniel
Minor Prophets: Hosea - Malachi

NEW TESTAMENT--
History: Gospels & Acts
Pauline Epistles: Romans - Philemon
General Epistles & Revelation: Hebrews - Jude + Revelation

I've been following (my own modified form of) Horner's plan since the 1st, and, so far, I am enjoying it as a way to get a good cross-section of Scripture every day. I still do a more focused, indepth study of a particular book (presently Ephesians) in addition. Similar to Wayne's suggestion, I have broken out a couple of other books I want to read more often, so that I actually have 12 lists instead of 10 (with the added benefit that I will read the whole Bible at least twice a year - many books, of course, several times a year). Still, it only takes roughly 1/2 an hour to do that (until I hit Psalm 119, that is!).

I've been following (my own modified form of) Horner's plan since the 1st, and, so far, I am enjoying it as a way to get a good cross-section of Scripture every day. I still do a more focused, indepth study of a particular book (presently Ephesians) in addition. Similar to Wayne's suggestion, I have broken out a couple of other books I want to read more often, so that I actually have 12 lists instead of 10 (with the added benefit that I will read the whole Bible at least twice a year - many books, of course, several times a year). Still, it only takes roughly 1/2 an hour to do that (until I hit Psalm 119, that is!).

And, as I've already noted, Horner himself encourages this sort of thing. The system is eminently tweakable in all sorts of ways.

And, as I've already noted, Horner himself encourages this sort of thing. The system is eminently tweakable in all sorts of ways.

so much so that really you could say it's less an actual scheme, than an overarching principle for organising the reading.

...Dr. Horner's Bible-reading system (10 chapters a day!)...

just curious - is there anyone who, after giving the method a thorough trial, still feels that 10 chapters a day demand an exclamation mark? My experience, and i know I'm not alone, was that it seemed first natural, and then quite soon, unsatisfactorily meagre

I've been doing the Horner reading plan for the last year. At first the 10 seemed daunting. Then they seemed mandatory and inflexible. Then they felt like guidelines. I've found the system helpful so that I can read the 10 if I want, but if I get to something that I want to stew on for a bit (like this morning with Psalm 63), I can sit there for my devotion time and not feel like I have to "catch up". That aspect has been really helpful with a newborn in the house - you get what you can! Personally, I've always made sure that I do the Psalm and Proverbs reading for each day, then the Prophets and Gospel reading, and then I'll do the other parts as I have time. Some of "making the time for all 10" for me is a mixture of personal discipline to do the 10 and the desire to really meditate on a section as I feel the need. As I said, the helpful part of Horner's reading system is that it's not inflexible, so one can easily move in and out of the 10-per-day schedule as far as I'm concerned. But obviously, the 10 is ideal.
:2cents:

...Dr. Horner's Bible-reading system (10 chapters a day!)...

just curious - is there anyone who, after giving the method a thorough trial, still feels that 10 chapters a day demand an exclamation mark? My experience, and i know I'm not alone, was that it seemed first natural, and then quite soon, unsatisfactorily meagre

A lot of people who are using the system have had that experience. At first, they think, "Whoa! 10 chapters! Gonna take me forever!" But, they discover that reading the 10 just makes them hungrier.

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

For the math-obsessed: reading 10 chapters per day means reading 70 chapters per week (duh). The Bible has 1,189 chapters. Reading 70 chapters per week means one is reading just under 6% of the total text of the Bible per week, counting by chapters.

The actual number is...drumroll, please...5.89%.

You'll thank me later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back