Doug Wilson on Worldview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romans922

Puritan Board Professor
What does Wilson believe concerning worldview?

He is here in Jackson and I want to know if I want to go hear him tomorrow.

Can you be more specific?

I imagine he would be in large agreement with Hoffecker's books on worldview. Creator-creature distinction, creation ex nihilo, supremacy of Scripture, etc.

I don't know. So no, I just know he is speaking in town and want to know if I should go hear him or not.

Would he say anything that would be good or controversial?

I dont know if I really want to go sit and hear someone speak on worldview on a Friday night, especially if it is Doug Wilson who I personally believe to be heterodox.

I dont know if I really want to go sit and hear someone speak on worldview on a Friday night, especially if it is Doug Wilson who I personally believe to be heterodox.

I spent a Friday evening listening to N. T. Wright. I'm glad that I went. It was a "horse's mouth" experience. (If that makes sense.)

It does, but worldview is so much more boring.

If it was, you know, Baptism, Covenant Theology, etc. I'd be there in a heartbeat.

It does, but worldview is so much more boring.

If it was, you know, Baptism, Covenant Theology, etc. I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Worldview, boring? I guess it's a matter of taste. I'd go regardless - he's likely to be quite good on the subject I think.

Todd

ps - I gather he's not speaking at First Pres. :)

Worldview is exciting. It provides a launching pad to angle at many different loci in theology and experience. So what on what he says elsewhere? This is likely to be good. Personally, I would go hear someone like John Milbank speak even though I really, really disagree with him on some parts.

Romans922;

I had to stay home with my wife.

No offense intended here, but you 'had' to stay home with your wife or you 'had the pleasure of staying home with your wife instead"??? :p

Romans922;

I had to stay home with my wife.
No offense intended here, but you 'had' to stay home with your wife or you 'had the pleasure of staying home with your wife instead"??? :p

Well, I said what I said. 'I had to' because I had to as my duty and a rule of my house that my wife and I set...is what I particularly was referencing (That we have a date night every friday).

However, it was a pleasure being with her, but that wasn't what I was referencing because I was talking about a reason why I stayed home not what I did while I was at home. If you want me to go into further specifics about my home life, I will have to refrain since it is a private matter.

Romans922;

Well, I said what I said. 'I had to' because I had to as my duty and a rule of my house that my wife and I set...is what I particularly was referencing (That we have a date night every friday).

However, it was a pleasure being with her, but that wasn't what I was referencing because I was talking about a reason why I stayed home not what I did while I was at home. If you want me to go into further specifics about my home life, I will have to refrain since it is a private matter.

I wasn't meaning any offense, and I'm sorry if it came across that way, please forgive me for that.

So is Doug wilson considered apostate? Heretic? What? I don't have a very good understanding of the NPP and its seriousness.

So is Doug wilson considered apostate? Heretic? What? I don't have a very good understanding of the NPP and its seriousness.

Technically speaking, he is not NPP. And words like "apostate" and "heretic" have been used beyond all usefulness in this debate.

I figured as much. Will a comparison help?

Does:

Doug Wilson = Joel Osteen

Doug Wilson = Bishop Spong

Doug Wilson = Billy Graham

Basically, is he WAAAY out there or is he just a bit different?

I figured as much. Will a comparison help?

Does:

Doug Wilson = Joel Osteen

No...Wilson has read his bible at least once.

Doug Wilson = Bishop Spong

Doug Wilson is a theonomic, inerrantist, patriarchalist, 6 day creationist, etc. Not quite Spong material.

Doug Wilson = Billy Graham

No...Wilson's views on the objectivity of the covenant cancel that one out.

Basically, is he WAAAY out there or is he just a bit different?

Just a bit different. Some have said he is way out on the standards. Perhaps. But that is not the most devastating rebuttal one can make. It's more like this: his theology of the covenant strains some of his claims on calvinism. In other words, his covenant theology appears to be at odds with his calvinism.

. It's more like this: his theology of the covenant strains some of his claims on calvinism. In other words, his covenant theology appears to be at odds with his calvinism.

Interesting. I've never thought of it in precisely this way before. Thanks for this perspective (no pun or joke of any sort intended).

. It's more like this: his theology of the covenant strains some of his claims on calvinism. In other words, his covenant theology appears to be at odds with his calvinism.

Interesting. I've never thought of it in precisely this way before. Thanks for this perspective (no pun or joke of any sort intended).

I felt it important to mention the calvinism aspect because his blog has a whole section defending the high doctrines of TULIP. He also wrote a very fine conversational (e.g., dialogue) presentation of Calvinism. That is what makes the FV thing so peculiar: does he take away with one hand (FV) what he offers with the other (Calvinism)?

I think this is a much more mature way of dealing with the topic. Had we done it in this fashion, and not with H-bombs, the FV never would have gained the popularity (I am against it, For what it's worth). When you call someone a heretic and evil person, they tend to dig in the trenches.

From what I understand, he's absolutely brilliant. The same with N.T. Wright. My brother in law is reading a book of his, not related to NPP or FV, and says the guy is heads and shoulders above most. He's a bona fide geemus.

From what I understand, he's absolutely brilliant. The same with N.T. Wright.

:agree: on both counts. This is precisely what makes their "bad stuff" so dangerous. It is easy to get swept away by someone's brilliance and not watch where they are leading you. in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back