Don't take things for granted...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickipicki123

Puritan Board Freshman
I've started working as an occupational therapist at a hospital, and this experience has taught me to not take my health for granted. I see people regularly who cannot even roll over in bed without assistance. Of course, part of my job is to help them get stronger. But I find it kind of an odd experience to be a stranger to these people, young and old, and within a few minutes, I am assisting them with hygiene.

Doing planks, lower weight weight lifting, stretching, getting down on and up off the floor every day, walking. . .

good daily habits, maybe every other day.

But of course an injury or accident or stroke or similar can occur, and, then, you may not be able to do the above any more. Until then, they are good habits.

God bless you for the work you're doing. I think about this subject often, especially since my dad spent an intensive month in a rehabilitation hospital earlier this year.

My husband and I both grew up with disabled dads, so I know how fragile health can be. And even if I enjoy better health for most of my life, I basically assume it's not a matter of if I'll face severely reduced health and mobility one day, but when. At the same time, I try to enjoy walks every day and not take my strength for granted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back