Don't Read the King James Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Why, you ask? Because it's not confessional to do so.

In the Westminster Confession of Faith, it says that the Hebrew and Greek Scriptures "are to be translated into the vulgar language of every nation unto which they come that, the Word of God dwelling plentifully in all, they may worship Him in an acceptable manner and, through patience and comfort of the Scriptures, may have hope." (Confession 1.8)

The language of the KJV is no longer (not for several centuries now) the "vulgar language" of English-speaking people.

Therefore, reading and using the KJV is unconfessional.

Therefore, reading and using the KJV is unconfessional.

In any context? I actually agree with you that it is not in keeping with the spirit of WCF 1.8 for the church to use the KJV in public worship, though I would refrain from going so far as to say it is outright unconfessional (merely that it is better to use the NKJV or something else). Still, your post lacks any qualifications. Am I violating the WCF if I read the Geneva Bible or the KJV at home or even read the KJV footnotes to the WCF? Surely, you do not mean to take things that far?

I am not sure is this thread is just a poor attempt at clickbait trolling, or if you really believe what you have posted here. Either way, this post is so objectively ridiculous that I am not sure how to respond to it (and I don't even use the KJV).

For one thing, have you really considered the implications of your assertion? Are you prepared to argue also that, therefore, those ministers who read and preach from the KJV should possibly be censured by their presbyteries? Are you prepared to argue that church members who read from the KJV might should be disciplined to do otherwise? Would you even go so far as to say reading the KJV is sin? Perhaps this is just an attempt to deal with KJV Onlyism without having to deal with the hard work of textual criticism. If so, it is very, very poor, not to mention in poor taste.

Which leads me to my next comment, this one directed at your heart. It has become apparent to many of us here on the board that you have a tendency to say things that, it appears to us, are said exclusively for the joy of getting a rise out people. The title of this thread is, to me, a clear example. No doubt this thread will stir some heat. I ask sincerely: Do you enjoy provoking people? Do you enjoy saying outrageous things that get people riled up, only almost never to respond when replied to? If so, then this is very much unconfessional, indeed unbiblical:

"Let us not become conceited, provoking one another" (Gal. 5:26).​
"Q. What are the sins forbidden in the sixth commandment?​
"A. ...provoking words..." (WLC 136).​

This surely is provocative.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, the King James Bible is written in "Modern English" LINK and it seems to me that the "vulgar language" of England, Canada, The United States of America, Australia, and New Zealand (at a minimum) is "Modern English".

I am not aware of their being any substantial linguistic difference such that "King James Bible Modern English" is a separate language from "Modern American English".

To be fair, the language of the KJV was never the "vulgar language" of English-speaking people.
Underrated point. A comparison of the writings of Knox and other Scots shows that the KJV at least did not reflect how the Scots spoke, and it seems reasonable to suppose that other Northerners, Welsh, etc would have encountered similar difficulties.

I was going to add this before the thread was closed. I am taking a moderator privilege here, but this is helpful and edifying. Beloved pastor and Jonathan Edwards scholar Michael Everhard has an edifying discussion on why Christians should read the King James Version. It is worth a listen.

Why Read the KJV? - YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back