Done With The Vikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

heartoflesh

Puritan Board Junior
If you've been following sports the last couple of days you may have heard about the 17 Vikings players accused of having a wild orgie last week on a boat. This is just the most recent scandal in twenty years of scandals for these guys. Enough is enough. I cannot with a good consience support this team any longer. I don't want to have to explain these kinds of things to my kids. It's no longer possible for me to separate the behavior of these overpaid, sex and drug-crazed individuals from the game of football.

Yeah, maybe so.

The Gophers just took back the lil' Brown Jug last weekend from Michigan!

[Edited on 10-13-2005 by Rick Larson]

Originally posted by Rick Larson
Originally posted by ChristopherPaul
Green Bay is a good fall back for ya.

Try a cheese head and see how it fits.

Surely your joking?

*Poimen replies for Christopher*

No I'm not. And don't call me Shirley.

Surely your joking?

It is the only NFL team I admire. Farve is great. I tolerate the Colts. I like Manning and Harris but Greenbay is owned by the people.

[Edited on 10-13-2005 by puritancovenanter]

Surely your joking?

I am a Giants fan, but always fall back on the Pack.

BUT, if you are content with loosing seasons, then suit yourself and search elsewhere.

:p

yeah those Vikings are a shame with their little boat party
I find myself rooting for teams for no other reason than the slightest of connections I feel. I will cheer for Green Bay because my old high school QB coached him in college. I will cheer for the Steelers because my wife is from Pittsburgh and I just like the working class feel of the town. And then I cheer for the Plowboys and can't find a reason why this year.

I'm disillusioned with the whole thing, really. I don't think most NFL players are all that different from those Vikings players. They just happened to get caught. The NFL is just a huge marketing machine trying to shove beer and sex down our throats anyway. Nothing wrong with either of those things, when used correctly, but I don't think that's what they have in mind.

yeah really I agree with the Puritancovenanter...college ball is better these days.
...and if you want to cheer for Texas Tech feel free to go ahead.

Yeah, those so called Pro's are shameless and very sinful. So are the NBA ball players. They both seem to hold back in fear of getting hurt also. That is why I love College Sports. Those guys are playing for fun and to the death.

Originally posted by puritancovenanter
College Football is better anyways. Jump boat and go College.

That or the CFL.

http://www.cfl.ca/

Go Lions!

cfllions.gif

[Edited on 10-13-2005 by poimen]

Well Coach Knight is a Catholic. That might explain some of his style.
But don't get me thinking about the roundballers already.

Originally posted by Richard King
Well Coach Knight is a Catholic. That might explain some of his style.
But don't get me thinking about the roundballers already.

I don't think it is his Catholicism that leads him that way. I tend to believe it is more his military background.

If you've been following sports the last couple of days you may have heard about the 17 Vikings players accused of having a wild orgie last week on a boat. This is just the most recent scandal in twenty years of scandals for these guys. Enough is enough. I cannot with a good consience support this team any longer. I don't want to have to explain these kinds of things to my kids. It's no longer possible for me to separate the behavior of these overpaid, sex and drug-crazed individuals from the game of football.
Randy Moss looks like a Saint now.

But heck, the goal of an unbeliever is Sex and Feasting. Belthshazzar to Nero, etc.

Wealth brings great temptation.

I'm going to plug Green Bay too. They are America's team and a nice bunch of guys. Too cold for orgies in the frozen Tundra. Go Pack!

I grew up a Dallas fan.....until the day that man from Arkansas took over.

Ever since my team of the week is whoever is playing the Cowboys!!

Phillip :eek:

If you're going to root for the Pack you might as well go all the way and buy some Depends and an orange snowmobile suit so you can drink all the beer you want and not have to get up during the game.

:D

Originally posted by Me Died Blue
College football :down:

Bengals w/ Marvin Lewis, Carson Palmer and Chad Johnson :up::up::up:

The Lord's Day :up:

Professional Sporting on the Lord's Day :down:

Violating the 4th commandment for so sorry a franchise as the Bengals
thud.gif

Originally posted by fredtgreco

thud.gif

I don't watch football on Sundays. I always used to since I had never even studied the doctrine of the Sabbath, but this past Super-Bowl is the first Super-Bowl I did not watch.

That doesn't mean I don't still keep up with the Bengals' records, plays and team news on a regular basis, though :)

Originally posted by pastorway
I grew up a Dallas fan.....until the day that man from Arkansas took over.

Ever since my team of the week is whoever is playing the Cowboys!!

Phillip :eek:

ahh, and Jones immediately fired the legend Tom Landry and hired his buddy Jimmy Johnson. I'm sure a lot of people felt the same way, but forgot all about it after "them Cowboys" won 3 Super Bowls in the '90's. That's more than Landry won in the '70's, he going 2-3 in the big game, if I remember correctly, and had the reputation (going back to the "ice bowl") of not being able to win the big game until he won his first Super Bowl.

Originally posted by fredtgreco

thud.gif

I don't watch football on Sundays. I always used to since I had never even studied the doctrine of the Sabbath, but this past Super-Bowl is the first Super-Bowl I did not watch.

That doesn't mean I don't still keep up with the Bengals' records, plays and team news on a regular basis, though :)

I still think that you are a masochist for liking the Bungles.

I personally would have been spared much grief if I had learned the doctrine of the Sabbath before watching my beloved Buffalo Bills lose 4 straight Super Bowls!!

Yeah the Vikings are so bad, but they still managed to blow out the 'Aints. :(

I think I'm done with the Saints and am ready for them to move to San Antonio or L.A. Unless things change when N.O. is rebuilt, the city doesn't have the corporate presence, etc to support a team. They couldn't sell out the Superdome consistently with competitive (if underachieving) teams, what makes people think they will sell out a new stadium with more expensive seats? Before Katrina, the only cities that were as small as N.O. or smaller with an NFL team were Jacksonville and of course Green Bay, where the city owns the team. I also predict that if the Saints move, they will be in the Super Bowl within approximately 3-5 years. Don't laugh...that's what happened with the Cleveland Browns/Baltimore Ravens and the Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans. To this point, they have one playoff victory since they began play in 1967, a game they nearly lost after having a seemingly insurmountable lead.

Haslett bet all his chips on Brooks and lost.

I have also become convicted in this area of watching sports on Sunday, and in wasting too much time in general watching them. I think I've seen enough for one lifetime anyway. LSU football is like a religion down here.

I find that attending a church with an evening service helps keep me focused.

I once read somewhere that it wasn't until after the massive Romanist immigration in the mid-19th Century that Sunday sports, etc began to be acceptable in the USA.

Former LSU basketball coach Dale Brown once said (paraphrasing) that a society that is as obsessed with entertainment and sports as ours is a society in decline.

"Wherefore do ye spend money for that which is not bread? and your labour for that which satisfieth not? hearken diligently unto me, and eat ye that which is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness." Isa. 55:2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back