Donald Poundstone on Partial Psalmody

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are a few resources that you may want to consider. I am careful with that word and if I've demonized one of God's own, it is only because I very wrongly understood Watts' teachings. If they are what they seem to be, he preaches another Gospel.

I have read these articles. While I agree with most of the assessment, I disagree with the way the author draws conclusions which Watts himself did not draw. At any rate, he makes a distinction between the kind of speculations which Watts made and the dogmatic errors of people who were classified as arch-heretics. They also leave scope for concluding that Watts was quite out of his depth.

They also leave scope for concluding that Watts was quite out of his depth.

I tend to think that about Watts and his assertions on the psalms as well. I think they have a flavour of stubborn, arrogance outbursts more that carefully thought out and expressed exegetical ideas. I think a sober and humble man would not have written what he wrote even if he concluded as Watts did. Maybe that's where Watt's errors lie, not in his theology 'per se'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back