Donald Matzat

Status
Not open for further replies.

cih1355

Puritan Board Junior
Here is a quote from Donald Matzat in the March/April 2004 edition of Modern Reformation magazine: "The forgiveness of sins is not about you and what you have or haven't done. If you are not sure that your sins are forgiven, look to the cross of Jesus Christ. Did the Lamb of God die or didn't He? If the Lamb died, your sins are forgiven."

He also said, "In one the parishes I served there was a young girl who attended an evangelical summer camp. Before the heading for camp, she wanted to speak with me. She was concerned because in the evening the campers would gather around the campfire and sing songs. One of the songs was titled,'Name the Day When You Were Saved.' 'Pastor', she said, 'After they sing that song they point their finger at someone and that person has to name the day when they were saved. If they point at me, I wouldn't know what to say. On what day was I saved?' 'Well', I responded, 'If they point at you and want to know on which day you were saved, tell them Friday. If they want to know which Friday, tell them Good Friday, the day the Lamb of God, Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, shed his precious blood on the cross for your forgiveness and salvation!' ".

For those of you who don't know Donald Matzat is a pastor of a Lutheran church. Does Donald Matzat actually believe that Jesus died for the elect alone? I ask because what he says only makes sense if Jesus died for elect alone. If Jesus actually saved people on the day he died and some people go to hell, then Jesus did not die everyone. If the Lamb of God died for you, then you are forgiven. Some people will go to hell. Therefore, Jesus did not die for everyone.

Originally posted by cih1355
Here is a quote from Donald Matzat in the March/April 2004 edition of Modern Reformation magazine: "The forgiveness of sins is not about you and what you have or haven't done. If you are not sure that your sins are forgiven, look to the cross of Jesus Christ. Did the Lamb of God die or didn't He? If the Lamb died, your sins are forgiven."

He also said, "In one the parishes I served there was a young girl who attended an evangelical summer camp. Before the heading for camp, she wanted to speak with me. She was concerned because in the evening the campers would gather around the campfire and sing songs. One of the songs was titled,'Name the Day When You Were Saved.' 'Pastor', she said, 'After they sing that song they point their finger at someone and that person has to name the day when they were saved. If they point at me, I wouldn't know what to say. On what day was I saved?' 'Well', I responded, 'If they point at you and want to know on which day you were saved, tell them Friday. If they want to know which Friday, tell them Good Friday, the day the Lamb of God, Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, shed his precious blood on the cross for your forgiveness and salvation!' ".

For those of you who don't know Donald Matzat is a pastor of a Lutheran church. Does Donald Matzat actually believe that Jesus died for the elect alone? I ask because what he says only makes sense if Jesus died for elect alone. If Jesus actually saved people on the day he died and some people go to hell, then Jesus did not die everyone. If the Lamb of God died for you, then you are forgiven. Some people will go to hell. Therefore, Jesus did not die for everyone.

Curt,

Since Matzat is a Lutheran, no, he doesn't believe in limited atonement. They do not hold to any of the five points except total depravity, but they would pride themselves, in a sense, on rejecting the "law of non-contradiction'.

Here is some more by Matzat.Here

[Edited on 4-15-2005 by openairboy]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back