Does your church sing Psalms as a Gospel Command? Cuthbert Sydenham on Singing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is important to recognize that singing something that is "based on" a Psalm is not the same as singing a Psalm. It would not be proper to consider those selections from the Trinity hymnal to be Psalms per se and thus satisfying the command of God to sing Psalms, as per the OP.

True. But hopefully it's a first step. We sing at least one psalm every worship service, but we often add a psalm-based hymn since regularly singing the psalms at all is new for many in our congregation.

Let me add that when I got here 5+ years ago, we sang ZERO psalms and had no psalter. It takes times to implement changes. The Lord has been good to us, and the new ARP Psalter (the one Benjamin recommends), which is mostly an abridged version of the RPCNA psalter, has been very helpful.

[video=vimeo;45120184]http://vimeo.com/45120184#[/video]

For your edification.....

Also Dr. Frank Smith has written a little booklet on reintroducing the Psalms back into worship.
The Joy of Rediscovering God's Hymnbook: How to Introduce the Psalter into Congregational Worship

It is important to recognize that singing something that is "based on" a Psalm is not the same as singing a Psalm. It would not be proper to consider those selections from the Trinity hymnal to be Psalms per se and thus satisfying the command of God to sing Psalms, as per the OP.

True. But hopefully it's a first step. We sing at least one psalm every worship service, but we often add a psalm-based hymn since regularly singing the psalms at all is new for many in our congregation.

Does anyone know if there are churches where they only sin one hymn at the service while all the rest are psalms?

While researching churches in the Chattanooga area, I saw one church (PCA) who appeared to do a hymn as the call to worship, and then after that all psalms.

Does anyone know if there are churches where they only sin one hymn at the service while all the rest are psalms?

We sing about 45-65% Psalms from 1961 Trinity Hymnal and Book of Psalms for Singing. That is with 3 times of singing a worship service with 2 worship services each Lord's Day (morning and evening).

Last edited:
While researching churches in the Chattanooga area, I saw one church (PCA) who appeared to do a hymn as the call to worship, and then after that all psalms.

We have a PB member who attends that congregation. I am sure he would be willing to tell you more about the practice of his church.

tylerray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back