Does the Mill, start after the 70 A.D destruction of temple?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shackleton

Puritan Board Junior
According to a Preterist understanding of Revelation, does the Millennium start after the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A.D?

Does that mean the people in between Jesus' ascension and the destruction are not in the Millennium? What does that say about the church then and now?

According to a Preterist understanding of Revelation, does the Millennium start after the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A.D?

Does that mean the people in between Jesus' ascension and the destruction are not in the Millennium? What does that say about the church then and now?

I lean in that direction.

Verse 4 says, "Then I saw thrones, and seated on them were those to whom the authority to judge was committed. Also I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for the testimony of Jesus and for the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years."

Assuming this coming to life cannot come until after the beast was destroyed and after any marks on foreheads or hands were given, so, if you assume Nero for your beast, then this had to occur after that time.

And, verse 10, "and the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever."

If ch. 20 CHRONOLOGICALLY (it doesn't have to...and I am not completely arguing that it is & open to correction) follows Ch. 19, then 19.20 says, "And the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who in its presence had done the signs by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped its image. These two were thrown alive into the lake of fire that burns with sulfur."

Again, assuming Nero as the beast, then this didn't happen until 68 and the millennium follows the beast being cast into the lake of fire.

Thoughts?

What are the implications for the Church?

I think the implications for the Church is one of "triumphal procession". I would take a more idealist approach to Revelation 19.11+:

"11 Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse! The one sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war. 12 His eyes are like a flame of fire, and on his head are many diadems, and he has a name written that no one knows but himself. 13 He is clothed in a robe dipped in blood, and the name by which he is called is The Word of God. 14 And the armies of heaven, arrayed in fine linen, white and pure, were following him on white horses. 15 From his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations, and he will rule them with a rod of iron. He will tread the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God the Almighty. 16 On his robe and on his thigh he has a name written, King of kings and Lord of lords."

When we go preach the Gospel, live our lives, & gather for worship, then it should be viewed through the lens of bringing everything under Christ's reign and Lordship - "He WILL rule them..." We should 'see' him riding forth to battle on our behalf when we preach the Word, when we pray, & when we worship. This affects the way we pray, preach, & worship.

I would recommend Murray's "The Puritan Hope" for some implications and thoughts on this issue.

I think the Dipsy, Rapture mentality has led the church to exist in a state of, "We are out of here any minute so we will not set up any thing permanent" mentality. Since every generation exists thinking it will be the last it has led to letting the government take over all the things the church was called to do. Education, taking care of the poor even art, music, science (not that these are jobs for the church but they have been let go).

I think the mindset that we are now in the millennium causes one to stop and take stock in what the church should be doing, setting up for the next generation, making permanent roots, making sure the church is going to be here for possible another one hundred years or more. Then living in light of what that means.

I think the Dipsy, Rapture mentality has led the church to exist in a state of, "We are out of here any minute so we will not set up any thing permanent" mentality. Since every generation exists thinking it will be the last it has led to letting the government take over all the things the church was called to do. Education, taking care of the poor even art, music, science (not that these are jobs for the church but they have been let go).

I think the mindset that we are now in the millennium causes one to stop and take stock in what the church should be doing, setting up for the next generation, making permanent roots, making sure the church is going to be here for possible another one hundred years or more. Then living in light of what that means.

Yes, and see greater continuity between this life and the age to come/the "New Heavens and New Earth". The cosmos isn't some sort of 'purgatory' to be escaped, but God's good creation, which is to be redeemed. When this is realized and the continuity of this age with the resurrection of the body is established, then Christ's Lordship and redemption of all things (and not just our souls) gets into focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back