Does the Father grant every single petition of His son Jesus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now if Jesus really wished or desired to gather all of Jerusalem how can we reconcile that His will was not the same as His Father or that His human will differed than His divine will?

We do not need to reconcile it. Gethsemane!

Now if Jesus really wished or desired to gather all of Jerusalem how can we reconcile that His will was not the same as His Father or that His human will differed than His divine will?

We do not need to reconcile it. Gethsemane!

Does not "if it were possible" not show us Jesus was asking something, in His humanity, that there may have been another way, and if so would The Father grant such a wish? The way I look at it was that Jesus asked The Father to allow Him to atone for sin "any other way" if at all possible. Of course the will to do it any other way was a Human asking, out of His limitations of His humanity.

Now in stating such I do realize this is a very difficult section and only wish to make sure Our Lord does not have a volitional will that is divided and in doing so I believe any apparent difference is only seen from a will that is not omniscient. For to have a contradiction of wills between The Father and His sinless Son is something that I believe one should attempt to reconcile.

Rev. Wintzer please read what I have wrote with the knowledge that I have the up most respect for you as a brother and great teacher in Jesus.

Does not "if it were possible" not show us Jesus was asking something, in His humanity, that there may have been another way, and if so would The Father grant such a wish? The way I look at it was that Jesus asked The Father to allow Him to atone for sin "any other way" if at all possible. Of course the will to do it any other way was a Human asking, out of His limitations of His humanity.

Once we allow the "limitations of His humanity" we are acknowledging that the "will" which belongs to the nature of humanity cannot be identified with the "will" which belongs to the nature of divinity. To begin with, the human is subordinate whereas the divine is supreme. Further, Jesus wills as a man, discursively. God wills as God, intuitively. There are numerous aspects in which the differences are clearly seen. The two I have mentioned suffice to show that Christ, as man, submitting His will to the will of the Father, might undertake a process of the kind we see in Gethsemane. The very mood of Gethsemane is one of submission and resignation befitting man's service to God.

Now in stating such I do realize this is a very difficult section and only wish to make sure Our Lord does not have a volitional will that is divided and in doing so I believe any apparent difference is only seen from a will that is not omniscient. For to have a contradiction of wills between The Father and His sinless Son is something that I believe one should attempt to reconcile.

Jesus, as man, possessed a sense of self-preservation. His Father, as God, required Him to undergo the painful, shameful, and cursed death of the cross in the place of His people. As Jesus resigned Himself to the Father's purpose He underwent a self-denying and self-sacrificing process. The contradiction was "natural," not "moral," and therefore perfectly consistent with the sinless and mysterious union which is called hypostatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back