Does the bible permit birth control?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote:e0654d45b8="twogunfighter"]Fred

I aggree. I expected a reasoned extrapolation of a commandment not specific verbage.

Chuck[/quote:e0654d45b8]

Understood. Just keeping things clear. :scholar:

[quote:76af7e4686]The Lord has told us to "be fruitful and multiply." When/where has this command been rescinded? The Lord also tells us that children are a blessing. What believer wants to try and prevent God from blessing them?
[/quote:76af7e4686]

No I don't think we were ever told be fruitful and multiply. God told Adam and Eve.

The Luther quote does not rule out birth control, although the Calvin does. Family planning as we know it was unheard of in that day, but at the same time most Americans aren't mature enough to get married at the ages that were customary historically.

[quote:26a556cb6f="Ranger"]My wife's finally pregnant! WOOHOO![/quote:26a556cb6f]

Congratulations Ranger, regardless on where one stands on the birth control issue, it is always good to hear that another life has been created. Psa 127:3-5

God Bless VanVos

I think we can get an indication of how Scripture views birth control by studying the sin of Onan found in Genesis 38.8-10. The comments of both Calvin and Luther on this passage indicate that they believed Onan's sin to be a violation of the Sixth Commandment.

Onan was wrong based upon the laws of leverite marriage. It is tough to take Onan into the modern sense of birth control, since as Christians we find it in appropriate to have our wives passed off to our brothers and/or father in law, in the case of Judah and Tamar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back