Does Jer 29:11 apply to people besides Jeremiah?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stope

Puritan Board Sophomore
Does Jeremiah 29:11 apply to people besides Jeremiah?

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfarea and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Does Jeremiah 29:11 apply to people besides Jeremiah?

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfarea and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

"You" is plural and refers to the exiled community.

"You" is plural and refers to the exiled community.
The passage where the Lord declares that If his people called by His name would humble themselves , he will hear them and heal their land , was that specific to those times, or for all times?

The prayer of Solomon concerned the temple and its services, the theocratic nation of Israel, and the promise of a specific land with specific temporal curses for the one who sins. As applicable to the "fulness of the time," the Lord Jesus Christ is the temple, the high-priest, and the sacrifice by which we draw near to God and by which God dwells in the midst of us. The church of Jew and Gentile believers is the theocratic holy nation. The new heavens and the new earth is the inheritance of the people of God. Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us, and He who believes in Jesus has entered into His rest. Notwithstanding there are still promises and threatenings with temporal consequences for the people of God. Understood in the light of its fulfilment the prayer of Solomon has many useful applications.

Jeremiah 29:11 will be as applicable as the prayer of Solomon in light of the wonderful things God has done for us in and through Jesus Christ, Who has led captivity captive and given gifts unto men, even for the rebellious, that God the Lord might dwell in the midst of them. All God 's thoughts concerning His elect are according to the eternal purpose which He purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord. Christ fills all things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back