Does Dabney interact with Shedd in Practical Philosophy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
I don't have Dabney's Practical Philosophy. I hope to get it one day. I noticed in the Table of Contents he talks about the human will, something WGT Shedd has written a lot on. I know he is familiar with Shedd in his book Sacred Rhetoric. Does he deal with him here?

I can’t find anything on Shedd in RLD’s ST, nor in his philosophical and his secular discussions. I also checked two volumes of Evangelical and Theological discussions. Not even a whisper.

I can’t find anything on Shedd in RLD’s ST, nor in his philosophical and his secular discussions. I also checked two volumes of Evangelical and Theological discussions. Not even a whisper.

I think Shedd was a later writer, at least his dogmatics. That might explain it.

I think Shedd was a later writer, at least his dogmatics. That might explain it.

Maybe you have that backwards? On the whole, the Dabney’s writings I noted were considerably later than Shedd’s most notable essays and theological writings. With respect to the OP, Practical Philosophy was I think Dabney’s last work, 1897. Whereas Shedd’s Dogmatics, which was a much later publication for Shedd relative to his other works, was 1888-1894; yet still a bit after Practical Philosophy. Primary point being, Dabney was spilling ink after Shedd’s Dogmatics.

Maybe you have that backwards? On the whole, the Dabney’s writings I noted were considerably later than Shedd’s most notable essays and theological writings. With respect to the OP, Practical Philosophy was I think Dabney’s last work, 1897. Whereas Shedd’s Dogmatics, which was a much later publication for Shedd relative to his other works, was 1888-1894; yet still a bit after Practical Philosophy. Primary point being, Dabney was spilling ink after Shedd’s Dogmatics.

I guess I am thinking of Dabney's ST, which was in 1871, but you are right on Practical Philosophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back