Does Christ's Obedience Procure Covenant Blessings For His People

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Username3000

I am unlearned in Covenant Theology, a novice if you will. Please suffer me to ask what is probably a basic and foundational question.

Is it accurate to say that Christ's perfect obedience to the Law of God, credited to the believer, obtains (procures, attains, etc.) for the believer the covenant promise/blessing of eternal life?

In the past, when thinking about the 'great exchange' of our guilt for His righteousness, I have only thought of His righteousness as being required for us to be right with God, but I haven't thought of it as procuring covenant blessings for us. I have thought in terms of Law and Grace, but not covenantally.

Please forgive my ignorance.
Edit: I know the 1689 touches on covenants, but obviously I did not understand what I did not understand when reading it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. If there was reward for Adam's obedience in Paradise, there is reward for the second Adam's obedience and even yet greater due to the preeminence of his person and work. This reward we participate in as united with Christ under the covenant of Grace.

WCF VIII:

V. The Lord Jesus, by His perfect obedience, and sacrifice of Himself, which He through the eternal Spirit, once offered up unto God, has fully satisfied the justice of His Father;[34] and purchased, not only reconciliation, but an everlasting inheritance in the kingdom of heaven, for those whom the Father has given unto Him.[35]

Heb 9:15: And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

Yes. If there was reward for Adam's obedience in Paradise, there is reward for the second Adam's obedience and even yet greater due to the preeminence of his person and work. This reward we participate in as united with Christ under the covenant of Grace.

WCF VIII:

V. The Lord Jesus, by His perfect obedience, and sacrifice of Himself, which He through the eternal Spirit, once offered up unto God, has fully satisfied the justice of His Father;[34] and purchased, not only reconciliation, but an everlasting inheritance in the kingdom of heaven, for those whom the Father has given unto Him.[35]

Heb 9:15: And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.
Thank you, good sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back