Doctrine of Predestination in the Dead Sea Scrolls

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReformedChristian

Puritan Board Freshman
1QH:I:1:17–22

[And] to the spirit of man which Thou hast Formed in the world, [Thou hast Given dominion over the works of Thy Hands] for Everlasting days and unending generations….in their ages Thou hast Allotted to them tasks during their generations, and Judgment in their appointed seasons according to the rule [of the two spirits]. For Thou hast Established their ways] Forever and Ever, [and hast Ordained from Eternity] their visitation for reward and chastisements; Thou hast Allotted it to all their seed for Eternal generations and Everlasting years…In the Wisdom of Thy Knowledge Thou didst Establish their Destiny before they ever were. All things [exist] according to [Thy Will] and without Thee nothing is done.

1QH:III:7:35–41

The way of man is not Established except by the spirit which G-d created for him to make Perfect a Way for the children of men, that all his creatures may know the Might of His Power, and the Abundance of His Mercies towards all the sons of His Grace

1QH:VII:12:30–41

Yet Thou Bringest all the sons of Thy Truth in forgiveness before Thee, [to cleanse] them of their faults through Thy Great Goodness, and to Establish them before Thee through the Multitude of Thy Mercies for ever and ever.

For Thou art an Eternal G-d; all Thy Ways are Determined for ever [and ever] and there is none other besides Thee. And what is a man of Naught and Vanity that he should understand Thy Marvelous Mighty Deeds?

1QH:X:8:1–22

I thank Thee, O L-rd, for Thou hast [Fastened] Thine Eye upon me. Thou hast Saved me from the zeal of lying interpreters, and from the congregation of those that seek smooth things. Thou hast Redeemed the soul of the poor one whom they planned to destroy by spilling his blood because he served Thee.

Because [they knew not] that my steps were Directed by Thee, they made me an object of shame and derision in the mouth of all the seekers of falsehood. But Thou, O my G-d, hast Succoured the soul of the poor and the needy against one stronger than he; Thou hast Redeemed my soul from the hand of the mighty. Thou hast not permitted their insults to dismay me so that I forsook Thy Service for fear of the wickedness of the [ungodly], or bartered my steadfast heart for folly.

1QH:XIII:20:1–11

All these things [Thou didst Establish in Thy Wisdom. Thou didst Appoint] all Thy Works before ever Creating them: the Host of Thy spirits and the Congregation [of the Holy Ones, the Heavens and all] their Hosts and the earth and all it brings forth. In the seas and deeps…

…and an Everlasting Task; for Thou hast Established them from before Eternity.

1QS:ix,5–7

Out of the Source of His Justice arise the norms of the Light in my heart. From the Secrets of His Miraculous Power mine eye saw the Eternal Ground of Being of the world, a Salvation, which is Hidden from him who seeks knowledge, and Wise Insight, that is Greater than that of the sons of men, namely the Origin of Justice and the Concentration of Strength Together with the Place of (His) Glory. Among mortals, G-d Gave It (this Salvation) to those whom He Elected, for their Eternal Possession, and let them Participate in the Lot of the Holy Ones, and with the sons of Heaven He Combined their Assembly, thereby Forming the Council of the Community.

Sources:

Vermes, Geza. The Dead Sea Scrolls in English. New York. Penguin Books. 1995.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back