Do You Really Believe That All Things Under The Sun Are Vanity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Hosie

Puritan Board Freshman
Tell me, you that say all things under the sun are vanity, if you do really believe what you say, why do you spend more thoughts and time on the world, than you do on Christ, heaven and your immortal souls? Why do you then neglect your duty towards God, to get the world? Why do you then so eagerly pursue after the world, and are so cold in your pursuing after God, Christ, and holiness? Why then are your hearts so exceedingly raised, when the world comes in, and smiles upon you; and so much dejected, and cast down, when the world frowns upon you, and with Jonah’s gourd withers before you?

Thomas Brooks - Precious Remedies Against Satan’s Devices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why then are your hearts so exceedingly raised, when the world comes in, and smiles upon you; and so much dejected, and cast down, when the world frowns upon you, and with Jonah’s gourd withers before you?

A Testimony of Joy

Over the holidays I had several painful trials both in my business and family life. I spent about 45 minutes this AM in Spiritless half-hearted prayer. Then I read this devotional by Brooks, and the last sentence hit home, and I began meditating on Romans 8:28. Within minutes I was singing God's praises again. Then I spontaneously began singing Psalm 30:11, 12. Everything changed and I started praising God for his perfect providence to me and all men. In all God's power, he could not do anything more perfect for me than the good providences he sends to me.

Here's a little song from Psalm 30 that made me smile.
https://is.gd/NnIKcC

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back