Do you personally like John Piper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on your profile picture, it seems like you are John Piper.

Yes I like him a lot from what I see publicly of him. I do not know him personally though.

He’s not someone I’d ever recommend as he isn’t reformed but many new believers look to him thinking he is. It can cause a lot of confusion. I’m sure he has some good things to say but I find it hard to believe that someone confessional hasn’t already said it better. Desiring God was one of the first books I read when I came to the faith and I loved it but I don’t much agree with its premise anymore.

Can’t say. I’m don’t personally know him.

edit - I’m?!? REALLY?!

Last edited:
I don't dislike the man but I wouldn't recommend his theology.
I find I am constantly challenged by his joy and worship in Christ, his humility and his hatred and pain that others would know Jesus. Outside the bible and personal friends, he has been a constant reminder of my phariseeic tendencies and also the free grace of Christ and tenderness even in those moments. Paul Washer too if we talk modern day only.

He’s not someone I’d ever recommend as he isn’t reformed but many new believers look to him thinking he is. It can cause a lot of confusion. I’m sure he has some good things to say but I find it hard to believe that someone confessional hasn’t already said it better. Desiring God was one of the first books I read when I came to the faith and I loved it but I don’t much agree with its premise anymore.
He is Calvinist just not traditionally reformed. I disagree though his theology is non recommendable. I have found many great theologians through Piper, namely Thomas Goodwin, Jonathan Edwards, Michael Reeves, John Macarthur, Richard Sibbes, John Bunyan and John Owen. Not to mention all the right perspective he has helped me to see in scripture (along with other guys like Spurgeon and Samuel Rutherford) the beauty, the sweetness and the fact our savior is all together lovely.

Here is a thought experiment: If someone handed you one of Samuel Rutherford's letters to read but changed the name at the bottom to John Piper's, how would you react to it?

I should not be wise in my own eyes. I know all men, including our teachers are fallible and I will give ear to any good reason to not recommend the theology. To all people posting I love and thank you for taking time to respond.

Here is a thought experiment: If someone handed you one of Samuel Rutherford's letters to read but changed the name at the bottom to John Piper's, how would you react to it?
No different I think. A flower by any rose would smell just as sweet. I usually only check the names out as I am not an old and mature believer so I try to go with trustworthy names. Usually if there puritan I read them or if I heard of them from trusted circles. As stated I love Sam Ruth. The Loveliness of Christ and his letters have blessed me greatly.

I’ll always have a feeling of fondness and gratitude for his preaching and ministry, as his sermon series through Romans, which I “happened” to catch on my car radio, was a big part of what God used to open my eyes more fully to the gospel. And as was said above, his writing introduced me to many godly theologians of the past. I can’t recommend him to people anymore, but appreciate many things about his ministry.

I’ll always have a feeling of fondness and gratitude for his preaching and ministry, as his sermon series through Romans, which I “happened” to catch on my car radio, was a big part of what God used to open my eyes more fully to the gospel. And as was said above, his writing introduced me to many godly theologians of the past. I can’t recommend him to people anymore, but appreciate many things about his ministry.

For these reasons, I just cannot join in the anti-John Piper pile on whenever it happens. I will not pretend that I do not have serious issues with him, I do. Yet I cannot overlook the good that he has done in pointing broad evangelicals towards Reformed theology. If someone is listening to/reading Dr Piper, I usually respond with, "That is good; you should also read Kevin DeYoung and then some of the men whom John Piper quotes."

He is Calvinist just not traditionally reformed. I disagree though his theology is non recommendable. I have found many great theologians through Piper, namely Thomas Goodwin, Jonathan Edwards, Michael Reeves, John Macarthur, Richard Sibbes, John Bunyan and John Owen. Not to mention all the right perspective he has helped me to see in scripture (along with other guys like Spurgeon and Samuel Rutherford) the beauty, the sweetness and the fact our savior is all together lovely.
He certainly helped me significantly as a new believer. When I came to faith I immediately joined my college chi alpha (assemblies of God) ministry which wrought great confusion in my life. Piper introduced me to Calvinistic thought. I actually came to the faith through his recitation of Romans 8 on YouTube. It was the first time I heard a plain reading of the scriptures and it blew me away. Some issues with his thought: he denies the covenant of works (as a student of Fuller) and affirms a strange final salvation scheme that is well documented on Scott Clark’s Heidelblog. I’d recommend checking out his blog.

He certainly helped me significantly as a new believer. When I came to faith I immediately joined my college chi alpha (assemblies of God) ministry which wrought great confusion in my life. Piper introduced me to Calvinistic thought. I actually came to the faith through his recitation of Romans 8 on YouTube. It was the first time I heard a plain reading of the scriptures and it blew me away. Some issues with his thought: he denies the covenant of works (as a student of Fuller) and affirms a strange final salvation scheme that is well documented on Scott Clark’s Heidelblog. I’d recommend checking out his blog.
what is your understanding of the covenant of works and what is Piper's brother? As in how does he reckon the old testament?

what is your understanding of the covenant of works and what is Piper's brother? As in how does he reckon the old testament?
Covenant is an aspect of providence, not creation, and man as an image bearer posses a telos but no means of reaching that goal. God’s covenant with man was an act of divine condescension by which Adam was provided a way of entering into the eternal beatitude of sabbath rest with his creator in the highest heavens by means of perfect, personal, entire, and exact obedience. Unless something has changed, Piper rejects the covenant of works entirely. I don’t understand the remainder of your question but I hope that helps.

Covenant is an aspect of providence, not creation, and man as an image bearer posses a telos but no means of reaching that goal. God’s covenant with man was an act of divine condescension by which Adam was provided a way of entering into the eternal beatitude of sabbath rest with his creator in the highest heavens by means of perfect, personal, entire, and exact obedience. Unless something has changed, Piper rejects the covenant of works entirely. I don’t understand the remainder of your question but I hope that helps.
I dont disagree at all with what you have said. I was confused if you were stating that people were saved by obedience to the covenenat or works or by looking forward to Christ's death on the cross (as revealed in galatians 3) through the prophesis and the categories the covenant of law set up (as in the demands for blood and sacrifice, high priest, etc). I agree there is a covenant of works as does Piper from my learnings but I don't think me or Piper states salvation is found in the Old Covenenat except in the ways in which it points to what Jesus has done in the New Covenant (namely die for sins and cloth us in his righteousness).

I no longer have any use for him. His anti-Trump editorial was *so bad* that it revealed his soundness of judgment is completely gone. Like less judgment than Doug Wilson. That bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back