Do you long to hear that Trumpet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant

Puritan Board Graduate
The trumpet was sounded in the close of the day of atonement; thence the jubilee commenced, and very fitly; when they had been humbling and afflicting their souls for sin, then they were made to hear this voice of joy and gladness, Ps. 11:8. When their peace was made with God, then liberty was proclaimed; for the removal of guilt is necessary to make way for the entrance of all true comfort, Rom. 5:1, 2. In allusion to this solemn proclamation of the jubilee, it was foretold concerning our Lord Jesus that he should preach the acceptable year of the Lord, Isa. 61:2. He sent his apostles to proclaim it with the trumpet of the everlasting gospel, which they were to preach to every creature. And it stands still foretold that at the last day the trumpet shall sound, which shall release the dead out of the bondage of the grave, and restore us to our possessions.

Matthew Henry Commentary, Leviticus 25

I recently began thinking of Christ’s return, and searching through sermons came across this one, #2 in a series “Living in the Light of His Second Coming” from the Rev. William Hughes. Thrilling! https://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=2140413142
Yes this is the sweetest subject for the saint. It is so easy for me to get distracted on the minors of life and lose focus. Henry’s comment helped me refocus.

Same here, Christopher. And I get distracted with things too, Grant--I'll get drawn into some hobby or some project I'm working on and think this world's not a bad place to be (especially when I'm out hiking, I'll think "man I don't want to lose this"; of course, we'll gain so much more and the hikes will be so incredible I'll think then "was I really so infatuated with those hiking trails? They were nothing!").

But the losses keep coming, and they'll just get more and more as I get older; and what will really get me to plead for Jesus to return to end all this is those horrible stories of children dying, being murdered, as in infants and toddlers though the ones in the womb are horrible enough. I'll hear stories of neglect or outright being killed right then. And I can't understand how people can't see the evil present in all of us and flee the the Lord for salvation. And I just pray for him to end all this, so another little one won't know the horrors of life but only joy in the presence of God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back