Do you believe the Bible on blind faith? Henry Hammond's New Apologetical Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
[video=vimeo;134865073]https://vimeo.com/134865073[/video]

"I believe the Bible because...I believe the Bible." Is that what you tell a non-believer?

"Reasonable Christianity," by Henry Hammond (1605-1660)

Henry Hammond (1605-1660) was one of the most popular English divines in his day. He desired to be a practical Christian preacher and faithful witness of the Gospel of Christ.

The Christian must have an intellectual handle on everything that comes up against the Christian faith in order to glorify Jesus Christ as a faithful witness to the truth. The Christian must be able, as St. Peter exhorts, to give an answer for the faith which lies within him. That means he must be aware of arguments against the Christian faith (to some extent), and have some knowledge on everything that comes against Christian truth. So, how ready are you?

The goal of this apologetical work by Henry Hammond is very simple. It was written to show the rationality of the Christian religion against the accusations that Christianity is irrational. Atheists in every age believe that Christianity is irrational, and that Christians just believe things on blind faith. To the atheist, blind faith believes in fairy tales for the sake of believing in fairy tales. Here is where Hammond’s arguments are astoundingly helpful, and will allow the Christian to arm themselves with some of the best Biblical material in print to overthrow atheism.

eBook Pack at the Puritan Shop (mobi, ePub and PDF).

Kindle Version

Google Play Version

Printed Book at Puritan Publications

ReasonableChristianityHenryHammond.jpg

Last edited:
Matt, in what sense are you calling Henry Hammond a Puritan? Given what he chose to do instead of sitting at Westminster and some of his influences, he doesn't really seem to fit the profile.

Hammond is an interesting fellow. He had Anglican leanings, and was in favor of the monarchy as a Royalist, and argued with Daniel Cawdrey wanting to retain ceremonies in worship. (Cawdrey hammered him on this point.) But in terms of reformation of the church, he seems, from his more popular writings, to desire to see change towards conformity to Christ and reform (that can be grey overall though).

I think that updating the description of his person would be better suited to call him an "English Divine." So with that, I'll update his bio information.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back