Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckd

Puritan Board Junior
I don't see anything in Matthew up to this point that would indicate Jesus would do this. Perhaps John the Baptist in Matt. 3:9-10 "Even now the axe is laid to the root of the trees."

Why would Jesus' disciples think he might do this? Was there a prevailing theory in 1st century Judaism that the Messiah would do away with the foundation and establish a completely new religion?

I don't see anything in Matthew up to this point that would indicate Jesus would do this. Perhaps John the Baptist in Matt. 3:9-10 "Even now the axe is laid to the root of the trees."

Why would Jesus' disciples think he might do this? Was there a prevailing theory in 1st century Judaism that the Messiah would do away with the foundation and establish a completely new religion?
Perhaps Jesus is making a preparatory remark to guard against a misunderstanding of what follows: "You have heard it said to our ancestors..." I can see how someone might misunderstand "You have heard it said "You shall not murder"...but I say to you..." and so on as abolishing - or at least challenging - the law and the prophets. Good teachers sometimes set out what they are not saying first, so that people don't get the wrong idea from what they then say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back