Do Illuminated Bibles violate the RPW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the intent is to extrapolate on God's word, yes.

In regard to pictures of the Ark:

Most will see pictures of the ark to possess some level of holiness; hence, their response will most likely cause people to stumble. Consider the 'Holy land' and the Ark exhibit.

Your example of oxen:
I do not believe an oxen in itself would be seen as holding any holy connotation; however, if it were a picture of the priests sacrificing an oxen....

There aren't any images in the bible.....Do the original autographs have images?
1. So if I use the Sammy Shepard book, which is a fictional story about a sheep and a good Shepard..... (it has many pictures of sheep and a Shepard not meant to depict Christ) to teach my children how Christ acts as our shepard and teach them the scriptures that show this.....you would see this as sin?

2. If I teach my kids the passage of scripture that deals with a fig tree, And then I take them into my backyard and show them what a fig tree looks like (noting we are not worshipping the tree)...It seems your logic what Call this sin. Is that correct?

3. What Sunday school literature do you use for kids in your church?

4. Do you think the logical conclusions of your post would mean that much of the kids literature published by GCP (publishing arm of OPC and PCA) is disobedient? They have images to help teach the Bible, but they do not use images of any member of the trinity (to my knowledge).

I think the logical conclusion of your view may be taking the RPW beyond it’s intent (at least as I understand it to deal with our corporate worship services).

Last edited by a moderator:
There aren't any images in the bible.....Do the original autographs have images?

No, they don't, as you've already established, and which I fully agree with.

It seems to me you are saying something to the effect of "Bibles shouldn't have any images (well, maps are OK) because the Bible has never had images (but maps are OK)."

Most of my questions have not been answered. I apologize if they seem tedious, but I really do wish to grapple with the applications of what you're saying.

1. So if I use the Sammy Shepard book, which is a fictional story about a sheep and a good Shepard..... (it has many pictures of sheep and a Shepard not meant to depict Christ) to teach my children how Christ acts as our shepard and teach them the scriptures that show this.....you would see this as sin?

2. If I teach my kids the passage of scripture that deals with a fig tree, And then I take them into my backyard and show them what a fig tree looks like (noting we are not worshipping the tree)...It seems your logic what Call this sin. Is that correct?

4. Do you think the logical conclusions of your post would mean that much of the kids literature published by GCP (publishing arm of OPC and PCA) is disobedient? They have images to help teach the Bible, but they do not use images of any member of the trinity (to my knowledge).

Good questions.

From the author:
"In Sammy and His Shepherd, veteran children’s writer Susan Hunt takes youngsters on a delightful trip through Psalm 23 from the point of view of a sheep named Sammy."

Obviously, a child may not be familiar w/ the relationship at first. However, a parent reading this tale would intend to extrapolate that Christ is the real shepherd of the sheep, in the final teaching.

The author goes on:
"Each chapter of Sammy and His Shepherd is an exploration of a passage from Psalm 23. As they work through the book, children will grow in their understanding of the metaphors the psalmist used in composing this beloved poem. But more important, they will gain a deeper appreciation for the one who is the subject of the psalm: the Good Shepherd, Jesus Christ. Captivating illustrations by Corey Godbey help Sammy and Precious come to life for children. A special section in the back of the book provides Bible passages, discussion questions, and activities to reinforce the lessons of each chapter."

Having said the above, as mentioned earlier, why do we need books like this?

I don't believe the fig tree example would be an issue for me.

I am in a PCA church. As u know, they are quite liberal; in my opinion, the bible is sufficient alone.

4. Do you think the logical conclusions of your post would mean that much of the kids literature published by GCP (publishing arm of OPC and PCA) is disobedient?

I would say so, yes. Much of this is rooted in the idea that the HS needs special help aids when it comes to children-to which, I disagree.

I think the logical conclusion of your view may be taking the RPW beyond it’s intent (at least as I understand it to deal with our corporate worship services).

The RPW covers more than just corporate worship. Private, prayer and family are included.

I would say so, yes. Much of this is rooted in the idea that the HS needs special help aids when it comes to children-to which, I disagree.

This is an important point. While no one would come out and admit this (that God needs "help") directly, I would like to hear various publisher's answer to this. What did our forefathers do without pictures before the printing press and animation? They must have been less enlightened than we.....oh, wait.....

From the author:
"In Sammy and His Shepherd, veteran children’s writer Susan Hunt takes youngsters on a delightful trip through Psalm 23 from the point of view of a sheep named Sammy."

Obviously, a child may not be familiar w/ the relationship at first. However, a parent reading this tale would intend to extrapolate that Christ is the real shepherd of the sheep, in the final teaching.

The author goes on:
"Each chapter of Sammy and His Shepherd is an exploration of a passage from Psalm 23. As they work through the book, children will grow in their understanding of the metaphors the psalmist used in composing this beloved poem. But more important, they will gain a deeper appreciation for the one who is the subject of the psalm: the Good Shepherd, Jesus Christ. Captivating illustrations by Corey Godbey help Sammy and Precious come to life for children. A special section in the back of the book provides Bible passages, discussion questions, and activities to reinforce the lessons of each chapter."

Having said the above, as mentioned earlier, why do we need books like this?

I don't believe the fig tree example would be an issue for me.

I am in a PCA church. As u know, they are quite liberal; in my opinion, the bible is sufficient alone.

The RPW covers more than just corporate worship. Private, prayer and family are included.
This is an important point. While no one would come out and admit this (that God needs "help") directly, I would like to hear various publisher's answer to this. What did our forefathers do without pictures before the printing press and animation? They must have been less enlightened than we.....oh, wait.....
Wow.

I am very thankful for the printing press. I guess all gospel materials that exclude images of the Godhead but are printed with images of trees, swords, fish, and sunrises are sinful. Scott, I think you and i would just disagree on the picture deal, which is fine by me. Thanks for sharing.

I use the picture books (without Godhead images) outside of our public worship gathering, because scripture does not stand against ALL images. The HS does not need our help, we need his in all things. They have been a tremendous aid to me in teaching my 18 month old and 4-year old. When I read them scripture that discusses swords, sheep, bulls, and goats I feel occasionally showing them a corresponding picture helps them. We do not worship the image nor call the image our God, it helps them better understand the words I read to the kids. I do not think the Holy Spirit needs my help and I doubt any truly reformed believe that. The logic is still inconsistent maps are images.

And also I am guessing that before the printing press people still drew images. Printing press was used to make copies not originals (the plates).

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the issue is that of "need." Do we "need" such books? No! The Bible is sufficient. The larger question is, "Are such books prohibited?" I think that's a much harder case to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back