Divine Order in the Church

Discussion in 'Theological Forum' started by alexandermsmith, May 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RWD

RWD Puritan Board Freshman

Noted. I was aware of that and misspoke just now. My kick off post to you translated it correctly and that’s always what I had in mind. Thank you for the correction though. No, it’s not where my confusion lies. I’m not confused on what you’ve written. Only disappointed.

2. C. M. Sheffield

C. M. Sheffield Puritan Board Junior

The feeling is mutual.

3. alexandermsmith

alexandermsmith Puritan Board Sophomore

Funny cause that's EXACTLY how it has happened in every denomination that went liberal and how it will happen in the PCA if things don't change.

4. C. M. Sheffield

C. M. Sheffield Puritan Board Junior

An astoundingly naive statement. Anyone who seriously believes that is just kidding themselves.

• Like Like x 1
    • Amen Amen x 1
    • List
  5. NaphtaliPress

NaphtaliPress Administrator Staff Member

Content reported; closed for moderator review.

Thread is reopened. 4:00AM 5/17

6. RWD

Very good articles. Glad he took the time he did to navigate and nuance. I hope he writes the third one he alludes to at the close of the second. Though the first two were written with slightly over a month between them, it’s been nearly nine months since the second, so I’m not too hopeful for a third.

Maybe I missed it but I couldn’t detect from the articles that he identified with patriarchy. He does claim that his denomination is likely the most patriarchal denomination in the country. He also notes that the church he pastors is “super-patriarchal.” But as far as I can tell, those remarks, which actually served his points well, can’t be construed as endorsements (anymore than criticisms) of patriarchy. (He might like his church that way... or maybe he’s trying to change the course of things... or possibly he’s somewhat indifferent to patriarchy, which like many constructs can encompass a wide spectrum.)

Anyway, I found the pieces useful and the passing references to patriarchy helpful in punctuating one of his points - even in patriarchal settings, the problems Mrs. Byrd imagines aren’t prevalent.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Reformed Covenanter

Reformed Covenanter Puritan Board Doctor

You could be right; he may just be saying that his position is seen as patriarchial.

8. RWD

Either way, he seems very level headed and composed. I’m not familiar with all the conditions for what is called “patriarchy” but my guess is, good or bad, he himself is likely biblically balanced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.