Dispensationalism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gabriel,
The board archives have a wealth of information...have you tried there?

You should try there........For someone to [i:a19651479f]concisely and thoroughly [/i:a19651479f] disect dispensationalism for you here will be close to impossible.

I will suggest you read "Wrongly dividing the Word of Truth" by J. Gerstner

For a good over view of Dispensational Theology and how it lines up with other Theological perspectives, I recommend a book i purchased long ago. :book:

It's called, Charts of Christian Theology and Doctrine, By H.Wayne House. Zondervan Pub.

It does a good job and getting to the jist of where the differences are. I am not sure it is is still in print. Also possibly there is a free online chart somewhere on the web by now.

Found one at,

http://www.modernreformation.org/mr99/janfeb/mr9901chart.html

Hope this all helps in some manner!

Peace and grace in Christ be with you.

[quote:6e0c8be052][i:6e0c8be052]Originally posted by Scott Bushey[/i:6e0c8be052]
You should try there........For someone to [i:6e0c8be052]concisely and thoroughly [/i:6e0c8be052] disect dispensationalism for you here will be close to impossible.I will suggest you read "Wrongly dividing the Word of Truth" by J. Gerstner [/quote:6e0c8be052]

A big problem with Dispensationalism is that it's advocates have differing views as to how they understand it. They do not have a unified body of doctrine- Whenever I have discussions with dispensationalists, I first try to figure out which kind they are.

Gerstner's book is good- He attempts to paint with a broad brush, and usually nails down his subject. If one gets that book, I prefer the revised edition, where Gerstner directly responds to Dispensationalists who reviewed the earlier edition of the book.

God Bless,
James

Dispensationalism:

1. They posit a definite and impassable distinction between Israel and the Church the former being God's physical people while the latter are His spiritual people.

2. While paying lipservice to Sola Fide, they basically deny it since they change the content and object of that faith according to whatever particular dispensation the believer happens to be in.

3. They reverse the analogia fide, using obscure passages of Scripture to explain the more clear.

johnny, no one says that the Church 'replaces' Israel.

We say that the Church IS Israel, it is the completion of and heir to ALL the messianic and eschatological promises made in the Old Covenant to national Israel.

If you view the covenant of redemption in a line, until Christ it was narrowly defined in terms of identification with a national entity, Israel, the children of Abraham through Isaac and Jacob. With the coming of Christ, and especially in the preaching of Paul to the Gentiles, this covenant was expanded, opened up, blown open, in fact to include the Gentiles. It, the church, contains both Jews and Gentiles...

To say that the church [i:6dee91fe9f]replaces[/i:6dee91fe9f] Israel is to tacitly accept that they are two different things; that before there was [i:6dee91fe9f]this thing[/i:6dee91fe9f], Israel and that now it has been replaced by [i:6dee91fe9f]this new thing[/i:6dee91fe9f], the church. No one says this...there aren't two different things, there is only one people of God called variously Israel or the Church.

The Reformers and many divines often referred to Israel, especially when she gathered for worship the church of the Old Testament. Likewise, the Church of the New Testament is called the true Israel of God.

Our charter is found all throughout Scripture but I would refer you especially to the first couple chapters of the epistle of Paul to the Ephesians.

If you want a good basic book about Dispensationalism, get "Dispensationalism: Rightly Dividing the People of God?" by Keith Mathison.

Joel

Johny, if your looking for scripture about the church being Abrahams seed, it is stated pretty clearly in the book of Galations chapter three. The whole chapter is all about it, but near the end it clearly calls believers the seed of Abraham.

See you in class. ;)

Two older books that still have value are "Christ's Second Coming: Will it be Premillennial?" by David Brown, and "Prophecy and the Church" by O. T. Allis.

Dispensationalism is a bankrupt system of theology. It is slowly disintegrating due to the pounding of Reformed teachers against it over the years. They continue to modify their beliefs and break off into separate sub-sections of dispensationalism....it's all quite confusing. Here is a great section at monergism.com dealing specifically with dispensationalism. It has a host of articles and links:

http://monergism.com/thethreshold/articles/topic/dispensationalism.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back