Dispensational view of the Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notthemama1984

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
Can a Dispensational have a good view of the Law coupled with a thorough understanding of sanctification? I ask because I was talking to a pastor friend about the difference between Dispensational and covenant theology and it occurred to me I have only met two types of Dispensational thinking on the law.

1) A legalistic view by Dispensational Arminians who think they need to perform good deeds to keep their salvation

2) Antinomian "once saved always saved" person who sees the Law as OT and in the end doesn't really matter because we are already saved.

I do recognize that my experience with Dispensationalism does not involve anything scholarly, but mostly local pastors and all.

Thoughts?

Boliver,

There is quite a number of dispensationalists who do view the Law as applying only to the Old Covenant, but still recognize the need for the believer to pursue personal holiness (sanctification). In a sense they are advocating a present economy for the moral law of God. John MacArthur would take that position. His book, The Gospel According to Jesus, was about that very subject.

Nicene Council had a pretty good podcast on this subject a few months ago. It would be worth listening to if you have not already done so.

1) A legalistic view by Dispensational Arminians who think they need to perform good deeds to keep their salvation

2) Antinomian "once saved always saved" person who sees the Law as OT and in the end doesn't really matter because we are already saved.

Boliver,

As strange as it may seem, these two points are not as disparate as they appear.

When one rejects the Law as God gave it, with His intended meaning (antinomianism), then man must replace God's Law with some form of law. Thus, antinomianism logically leads to legalism (in the sense of man made laws, used for our salvation). Also, legalism, the attempt to justify ourselves by keeping commandments, is a form of antinomianism because it either 1. Waters down what the Law actually requires for justification (absolute, perfect and perpetual obedience), and 2. It replaces God's Law.

If a dispensationalist is consistent with his basic premises, he cannot hold to God's intention in giving the Law, in all three of its uses: evangelical, personal and civil. Thank God, however, that there are dispensationalists who are not consistent with their basic premises.

Godspeed,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back