Dinosaurs, ice age, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We went to the St Louis Science Centre this past Summer/Autumn when they were having a dinosaur archealogical "dig". These ppl brought in real bones that still needed cleaning and even allowed local teenagers to help clean them, teaching them the proper methods and use of the proper tools to do so of course. My children got into the room and the older lady showed them the bones and then started in on the "millions of years" and "before man"...and didn't get much further. My then 7yr old son, interupted her in a very polite manner and informed her that the "millions of years" theory was untrue and that mankind and dinosaurs did live together. She was at a loss momentarily, looked at me, then stated that "well, that is what your beliefs are and my beliefs are different". A truer statement could not have been made!!! Her BELIEFS....denotating faith, instinctive draw toward a belief system of some sort (though faulty). I smiled and talked with my son and daughter later. But I think the lady was glad to be rid of us and glad that the room was too small and only allowed one family in at a time.

Originally posted by LadyFlynt
We went to the St Louis Science Centre this past Summer/Autumn when they were having a dinosaur archealogical "dig". These ppl brought in real bones that still needed cleaning and even allowed local teenagers to help clean them, teaching them the proper methods and use of the proper tools to do so of course. My children got into the room and the older lady showed them the bones and then started in on the "millions of years" and "before man"...and didn't get much further. My then 7yr old son, interupted her in a very polite manner and informed her that the "millions of years" theory was untrue and that mankind and dinosaurs did live together. She was at a loss momentarily, looked at me, then stated that "well, that is what your beliefs are and my beliefs are different". A truer statement could not have been made!!! Her BELIEFS....denotating faith, instinctive draw toward a belief system of some sort (though faulty). I smiled and talked with my son and daughter later. But I think the lady was glad to be rid of us and glad that the room was too small and only allowed one family in at a time.
That's an excellent story/testimony.

You said she was at a loss momentarily, and then she looked at you. Just curious. How'd you respond at that point? Did you manage to remain expressionless? Did you smile at her? Did you let out a "Yeah! That's my boy!!!"? :lol:

[Edited on 2-22-2005 by blhowes]

Originally posted by blhowes
"Yeah! That's my boy!!!"? :lol:

I wanted to!!! Boy, I sure was thinking it! Instead, I just stood there with my continual smile...though at that point it may have seemed a bit smug...I was trying to appear gracious. I know she was trying not to offend me or contradict what I obviously had taught my children.

Before we left (after my hubby took the children out of the room), I asked for a pen and paper and left her AIG's website and another. I wrote on there Big Bang/Evolution, Old Earth/Gap Theory, and Young Earth/Creationist. I let her know that these websites were from the last perspective and that homeschoolers come from all of these camps...but that most come from the last camp and this is a BIG homeschooling area. (Basically letting her know she might run into more of me :D ) And here is our scientific grounding if she is interested.

I wanted to!!! Boy, I sure was thinking it! Instead, I just stood there with my continual smile...though at that point it may have seemed a bit smug...I was trying to appear gracious. I know she was trying not to offend me or contradict what I obviously had taught my children.
Your self control is admirable.

Before we left (after my hubby took the children out of the room), I asked for a pen and paper and left her AIG's website and another. I wrote on there Big Bang/Evolution, Old Earth/Gap Theory, and Young Earth/Creationist. I let her know that these websites were from the last perspective and that homeschoolers come from all of these camps...but that most come from the last camp and this is a BIG homeschooling area. (Basically letting her know she might run into more of me :D ) And here is our scientific grounding if she is interested.
Neat. Wouldn't it be great if your giving her those web addresses, initiated by your son's comments, caused her to re-evaluate her beliefs? Imagine hearing her testimony of God's grace someday:

"...there I was, doing my presentation about where the dinosaurs came from and when they lived, when this little 7-year old says..."

Luk 18:27,
Bob

So true, I do pray that the Lord draws her. It is amazing how many scientists HAVE come to Him, with their self-defeating proclaimations being the means that He uses!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back