Did You Watch (or Follow) American Idol This Season?

Did You Watch American Idol This Season?

• Yes.

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Nope.

Votes: 33 66.0%
  • I plead the 5th in case my elders are reading this.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What's American Idol?

Votes: 3 6.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

N. Eshelman

Puritan Board Senior
Last season there was a thread for the season. So who watched this season and what were your thoughts?

Did "your person" win?

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

For the record, Simon Cowell (or however you spell it) reminds me of sitting in a practice preaching session at Puritan Reformed Seminary.

Totally off-topic but is there anything more nerve-racking than giving a sermon in seminary chapel (especially at RPTS where chapel is in a room that also serves as a classroom) where you have your Professors sitting literally 3 feet in front you with their Greek and Hebrew Bibles?

I watched and this was the best final two since Bo and Carrie. I voted for Crystal based on last night alone, she did better, but both were great all season.

Totally off-topic but is there anything more nerve-racking than giving a sermon in seminary chapel (especially at RPTS where chapel is in a room that also serves as a classroom) where you have your Professors sitting literally 3 feet in front you with their Greek and Hebrew Bibles?

I hear you, brother. I have one of my sermon critiques recorded and if I ever want a reason to cry- I could listen to it! Ask any of the PRTS guys on here- it's not a fun thing; but it's great!

Sermon critiques off topic? Actually I think it serves as a very good reminder that we have little time in our busy lives to reflect on God's word and watching much of anything on network TV is a sad trade-off.

I watched and this was the best final two since Bo and Carrie. I voted for Crystal based on last night alone, she did better, but both were great all season.

I picked Lee and would not have been upset had it gone to Crystal. My favorite part of the season was all of the lip-syncing during group performances on results night, like we couldn't tell. :lol:

---------- Post added at 08:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 AM ----------

Sermon critiques off topic? Actually I think it serves as a very good reminder that we have little time in our busy lives to reflect on God's word and watching much of anything on network TV is a sad trade-off.

It's not a "sad trade-off" to spend time enjoying some little things in life. My wife and I rarely watch television but this is one of the shows that we both like to sit down together and enjoy. We like some of the music and critiquing the talents and just spending some fun time together. I don't consider spending time with my wife a "sad trade-off" by any means.

Now, if I focused all of my attention on the television and neglected reading and meditating upon God's Word, then I would have to agree. However I don't believe it's proper to qualify all television (as well as any other recreation) as detrimental to one's spiritual health or less sanctified if placed in its proper place.

What's the problem with that?

Most people (myself included) would do the very same if we were fluent in Biblical Greek and Biblical Hebrew.

The KJV, NIV, NASB, ESV, RSV, etc., would be out the door so fast they wouldn't know which way is up.

ON-TOPIC: Didn't watch it. If you don't know why, look at the title of the show.

If you still don't know why....we need to sent you off to "reeducation" via a workcamp. :p

I was for Lee. In years past they made a big deal about "progress" in singing and stage presence. I think Lee made the most dramatic changes and on that basis should have won.

Lee was terrible. He was my pick for maybe 9th place. VoteForTheWorst.com has finally accomplished its mission.

His win and Simon's departure are the last two nails in AI's coffin. It was a fun ride.

I didn't watch the season as I have no TV. But I was at someone's house Wednesday night visiting, and they were watching. So I heard both contestants sing all their songs. Crystal was by far better. So i checked out of curiosity who won last night and was shocked to see that it was Lee.

I didn't watch the season as I have no TV. But I was at someone's house Wednesday night visiting, and they were watching. So I heard both contestants sing all their songs. Crystal was by far better. So i checked out of curiosity who won last night and was shocked to see that it was Lee.

Which is why it is a good thing to vote based on overall performance and not just one night's.

Ya'll don't go to church on Wed nights?

Unfortunately we do not. We have a prayer meeting every other Tuesday night and two services on Sunday, and that is it. I wish we had more meetings throughout the week.

I watch it and enjoy it. I watch very little other TV but have always liked the show.

Lee really grew on me. It got to the point where I looked forward to what he was going to do. I didn't pick him as an early favorite. I thought Casey would be in the final but something about him just trailed off.

I don't know why people found this season's group bad. Maybe I'm just a naturally optimistic guy but I like to compare to previous seasons and there was a lot of talent this year. It might also be that I liked the styles.

I wasn't surprised that Lee won. He didn't sing as well as Crystal did last night. She killed the songs. But it was the same dynamic as last year. Given the demographics of who watches the show, there is still a large segment that is going to be turned off by the chin earring and the dreadlocks. I almost had to remind myself every week when Crystal sang why I liked her so much because her appearance is very off-putting to me naturally.

I think Lee was just well liked and I don't really think it mattered whether he really messed up last night because of the relative base of who was voting. I do think the show's format puts certain singing types at disadvantages by choosing songs that have a more contemplative feel and would do well on radio on a format that rewards huge "flash bang" performances but that's always been the case.

I can say that this was one of the few times when I wasn't sort of passionate for one or the other to win but would have been happy if either won.

What? Since when is there worship on Wed? Sunday is the sabbath.

I never said anything about the Sabbath or Wed night pertaining to the 4th commandment. I just thought most churches had some type of service/class/prayer on Wed nights. Around here just about every church does. If people want to skip it to watch TV, that's fine by me. Like I said, I see no scriptural warrant to attend Wed nights like there is for Sunday worship. I was just curious.

I am too vulnerable to ungodly thoughts in watching TV, so, I don't have a TV. People, who think their minds are so competent they can actually decide, whether they get affected by what they watch or listen (that which goes into your mind) or not, are literally FOOLS. I hope there are none here and if there are, I hope they realize how impotent the human mind is.

Yes, giving a sermon in seminary chapel Coram Deo.

I am too vulnerable to ungodly thoughts in watching TV, so, I don't have a TV. People, who think their minds are so competent they can actually decide, whether they get affected by what they watch or listen (that which goes into your mind) or not, are literally FOOLS. I hope there are none here and if there are, I hope they realize how impotent the human mind is.

I'm vulnerable to ungodly thoughts when I read the Puritan Board (sometimes), but that doesn't usually stop me. :lol:

What? Since when is there worship on Wed? Sunday is the sabbath.

I never said anything about the Sabbath or Wed night pertaining to the 4th commandment. I just thought most churches had some type of service/class/prayer on Wed nights. Around here just about every church does. If people want to skip it to watch TV, that's fine by me. Like I said, I see no scriptural warrant to attend Wed nights like there is for Sunday worship. I was just curious.

Oh, I see. We actually have various Bible studies throughout the week and our youth meet on Thursday or Friday night. I got confused.

We can't get DVR out here because we actually can't get cable. (Yes, I know, I need to move). But it sounds wonderful.

I'm trying to figure out whether I am allowed to decide that I'm not going to be affected by what you just said.

I'm trying to figure out whether I am allowed to decide that I'm not going to be affected by what you just said.

Matthew 5:22 immediately comes to mind.

Matthew 5:22 immediately comes to mind.

That's what I was thinking as well. =)

I don't care for American Idol other than the opening auditions where it's more of train wreck than a singing contest. It makes me laugh. The only TV program I watch each week is 19 Kids and Counting, which is a half hour. I don't have the time to watch much else (since the sirens named Puritan Board and Facebook sweetly sing my name).

I can't take 19 Kids and Counting. I feel so sorry for those kids. I would have hated to have cameras in my house growing up. I guess its one of the ways they make ends meet, so I don't mean to judge them - I'm just glad its not me.

I can't take 19 Kids and Counting. I feel so sorry for those kids. I would have hated to have cameras in my house growing up. I guess its one of the ways they make ends meet, so I don't mean to judge them - I'm just glad its not me.

I appreciate that line of thought and concur that I probably wouldn't like it much either. However, the Duggars seem pretty used to it since they have grown up with that reality. What I really like is watching Jill and Jana because they take care of the kids and home in a way that I find admirable and desirous in a wife. It gives me hope that such young ladies still exist. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back