did you notice this about Reformed folk...

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my humble opinion, Reformed churches tend to be very cerebral, and far too many Blue collar Christians tend to be disdainful of ""book-learning"". I have had far too many blue-collar believers tell me that the only book that they will ever read and need is the Bible.

Ain't that the truth!!

My dh was an elder at our former church and as he was beginning to be Reformed he tried to share his excitement with the pastor and fellow elders only to be shot down with the admonition not to get puffed up with knowledge.

At one service (in their terms, "meeting") the wife of one of the elders made a disparaging remark about "Caaaaalvinisssssmmmm" in a tone that made it seem like a four letter word. Dh and I still laugh over that one!!

But seriously, the folks in these types of churches need our compassion and prayers because they are so impoverished spiritually but think they are rich and prospering in their souls. If only they knew the richness of what Christ has done for us and who we are in Him! Becoming Reformed was for me like being born again all over again and almost three years in a PCA congregation has done more for me spiritually than all of the 28 years in our former church. I pray that the Lord will bring His people out of such environments into churches where His Word is faithfully exposited and lived out.

Just a side note.....many bemoan the fact that it seems as if few are saved into the Reformed faith. That may or may not be true. BUT.....we should be so very grateful that there are Reformed churches ready to welcome and nourish those from Arminian/charismatic/pentecostal backgrounds whose eyes the Lord has seen fit to open and whose spirits are hungry for His truth.

I stayed at my old church because I loved the people there and I thought (naievely) that I could influence some there to begin to question the things that they've been fed.

I have to agree hearily with this comment:

Becoming Reformed was for me like being born again all over again

It really was...what a beautiful and humbling experience.

I have a friend (by contrast with those mentioned in this thread) who I've been discussing theology with for a few years...and one day about a year ago we got onto Romans 9...

Long story short, he called me the next day in tears...he said that he had read it and the light just "went on" and he was so excited that he read it and talked to his grown son about it during dinner, his son was not impressed so they talked and talked and re-read, and then DING! the light went on in his son's head, and my friend said they were both sitting at the dinner table crying...the truths were so humbling and beautiful...

Have you ever noticed this about Reformed folk...

Most Christians I know could care less about theology and how to understand it better...mostly they are content with the way things are and if you bring up "justification" or something theological...they just don't really care.

I was talking about theology vs "the Shack" and I could find nobody that I know except those on this forum, that really thought it was a bad thing to read something like that, or that they even recognized that it had twisted theology....

it seems that the mainline Christian is just not interested in delving into things as Reformed folk are.

Now, I did have ONE Christian Arminian friend who LOVED talking about theology and such...but he's gone now....

There are other non-mainline, non-reformed groups out there that talk theology. Conservative evangelical churches/denom's and independant bible churches can actually be quite good. And don't forget Church of Christ!

Most Christians I know could care less about theology and how to understand it better...mostly they are content with the way things are and if you bring up "justification" or something theological...they just don't really care.

No. I typically find that most of my relations in the past don't mind talking theology, they just prefer bad theology. I've also had the experience of having people yell at me for stating Biblical truth clearly in a way they hate and shutting down all future theological conversations. As I said, most of my friends from my past just prefer bad theological conversation (Shane Claiborne, Brian McLaren, Rob Bell, Emergent Village, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back